• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leak repair - please help!

I would not try to stick anything on the inside as there will already be a silicone seal running along the two panes.
Fresh silicone does not stick well to old silicone so to be effective you would need to remove the existing silicon seal but then where do you stop?
So I would attack it from the outside, the hole is not a structural issue just a leak potential.
I would fill the hole with silicone (you can buy small tubes of fish safe silicone in any aquarium store) and silicone a small piece of glass on the outside over the hole.
An old film slide might work but a piece of 2mm glass would be much better, you need to clean the surface extremely well and it will then stick until the earth explodes.

One issue I see with this is that the base of the aquarium (wooden) is covering the hole which is why the recommendation was to seal from the inside.
0f3f5e87700e0acf90f72b7f4de325c8.jpg

6a8b1ea01e877b2f71543a27572a7b93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok I can see the issue more clearly now, in that case you will have to seal from the inside.
I think the repair defiantly needs a patch over the damage, I think it needs to be thick enough to adhere to the side and bottom.
The area needs to be very clean and dry, I would think a 2-3mm piece of glass about 25x50mm would work well.
I still cant see if there is a bead of existing silicone inside the tank?

My mate repaired a cracked bottom of his tank (placed tank on hard surface on a grain on sand which cracked the bottom pane in one corner), by siliconing a sheet of glass (from an Ikea picture frame, get the size you need !!) to the inside of the tank over the cracked corner. Lasted at least 15 years years, till tank was sold/given away. He was completely shocked when he sold the tank and found the repair he had completely forgotten about.

Thanks guys, the white round circular residue around the hole is all silicone residue which will need removing thoroughly.

af67db658ba37040df99417753a9eb69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back