• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Learned a new English word today...

zozo

Dark-Hedges-Northern-Ireland-traffic-free.jpg

Interarboration...
FiBOE8fWAAASn4X

What it means is in the picture and it rang an Aquascaping bell...

Interarboration Inspiration? Maybe?

An aquarium with low light or at times illuminated by twilight.
4141902604_fdf441a6a0_b.webp

Is a scape 'Crepusculine'...

'Crepuscular' actually is a zoological term, referring to animals (also fish) which are active primarily at dawn or dusk or both.

Dark-Hedges-Northern-Ireland-traffic-free.jpg

Interarboration...
FiBOE8fWAAASn4X

What it means is in the picture and it rang an Aquascaping bell...

Interarboration Inspiration? Maybe?
New for me too, and Google, I always referred to them as tree cathedrals

FLOSCULOUS! 😘

Something flosculous is anything covered with flowers or blossoms.

(botany) Consisting of many gamopetalous florets. Such as the Cherry tree will be rather flosculous next month.
cherry_trees1200.jpg

These words are not new to me "Dyke" and "Ditch".

But still, learned something new!?

What I never realized is both seemingly are different things a dyke is a mound and a ditch is a trench but still both are etymologically equivalent to 1 old Germanic word "Dikaz". In old English, it was 'Dic' for both and over time changed into Dyke and Ditch.

Thinking about it, it's rather obvious... You can't make a dyke without digging a ditch first, the construction goes hand in hand and is one and the same.

Naamloos.jpg

Dyke or Dike is also know as a dry stone wall in Scotland!

Yes, this also goes for other Western Germanic languages where the cognate is lost or separated and a wall or a mound without any ditch near also became a dike. In the German language, the 'Teich' is actually the same but nowadays refers to a pond.

I'm more referring to ancient times when the Vikings, Angels and Saxons came to England and brought their language and established their settlements by digging ditches and creating dikes.
_102416728_settlement_rcahmw.jpg

The verb 'to Dig' actually has the exact same origin, Dig, Ditch and Dike are ancient cognates from the old English 'Dic'.
At that time the dude in the image was "Dīcian" while making the "Dīc".

In planted tanks dosing glutaraldehyde could be likened to "putting one's finger in the dyke"

And for anybody smirking, that's not meant in the slang term.
Hans! :)
Dutch boy who saves his country by putting his finger in a leaking dike. The boy stays there all night, in spite of the cold, until the villagers find him and repair the dike.
American origin but the saga is adopted by the Dutch as the 'Hero of Harlem' and even gave him a bronze statue. But it never really happened.
NH21ah-2.jpg

I'm more referring to ancient times when the Vikings, Angels and Saxons came to England and brought their language and established their settlements by digging ditches and creating dikes.
Amazing what you learn in off topic/ chit - chat.

Spent a few hours today reading about Anglo-Saxon history and Offa of Mercia.

Amazing what you learn in off topic/ chit - chat.

Spent a few hours today reading about Anglo-Saxon history and Offa of Mercia.

It's funny, isn't it... Those ancient peoples were prolific diggers constructions like this are found all over the place in Europe. We have one a few minutes walk near my place too, nowadays referred to as the Land Grave. Initially, it was thought it was simply eroded sunken roads scattered all over the area. Some are paved today and others are in the forests and fields. Later archaeological studies revealed that they were all connected and stretched as a massive ditch for over 30km long as a defensive line. Some evidence suggests it must have been dug in the iron age somewhere around 55 BC because they found quite some Germanic/Keltic and Roman artefacts in and around it. And also much later evidence that it was maintained and still used as a defensive line into the 15th century. After that, it lost its function and purpose and nature took over.

Remarkable, a man-made 30km Dic was occasionally kept in use for 15 centuries as a fortification and then almost forgotten because the industrial revolution changed the landscape and hid it away.

I guess it's from the middle ages Pannage: historical Permission to feed pigs in a Wood, origin French meaning pasturing

Back