• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Learning from Mistakes (125L dirted co2 tank)

With the return of dark evenings I can once again take photos. A bit of a change this tank is now low tech since I was having a few problems, mainly my nano tank had a massive invert nuke with snails upturning and a massive shrimp die off. I rescued what I could. My nerites and rabbit snails are now in this tank so a low pH is out of the question, I've put chicken grit in the filter to bring the pH up to about 8. One shrimp has had pups which my fish are ignoring and there's a couple of newly berried female so looking good.

It's back to the 2x14w lighting still doing the 50% water changes and keeping the TDS at about 200-250 rather than the 350-400 I had with full EI. Floating plants are also doing a lot better without the spray bar.

DSC_0017_zps5ecbcbd7.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsc7e3799b.jpg

DSC_0021_zps95ab5e2a.jpg

Seems lilaeopsis mauritania is my fourth carpet failure.

DSC_0022_zpse6e791df.jpg

DSC_0023_zpsdfdc46a7.jpg

Addition of cryptocoryne pigmea into the tank,hasn't done anything in a month but no melt either.

Think I'm starting to get the settings on the d3200 right, these had zero post editing ;)

Really like the rescape. The addition of more height really makes a difference. Also great quality photos.

Thanks, this tanks probably coming to an end due to a living room rescape in the next month. Though I think I'm going to setup in a pretty similar fashion this time simple with a sand base though can't decide if I want sharp or silver sand. Might keep it a little bit more simple.

I've used silver sand before and currently have it in my low tech. I find with MTS it keeps pretty loose as long as you don't make it to deep. The barbs use to love digging around in it when I had it in my main tank. If I do use dirt I'll be keeping it in the region of around 5mm deep or I might just do a sparse base layer of osmocote with the sand on top. I might even sieve some of the bigger stones out of the sharp sand.

Dosing is currently somewhere between PPS-PRO and EI so might just stick with sand.

Back