• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaves at the bottom dying ?

Herrwibi

So I'll give you a run down of the tank . Going for a low tech tank.

60l - 24x12x12
Lighting - 20w 9000lumen floodlight ( roughly 8 inches above the water line)
Substrate - ocean free aqua gro.
Filter - aqual 400l/h connected to a sponge filter.

I've having issues with the bottom of my plants dying . I'm not sure if I've planted them too close together or if it's a lighting issue . They are growing slowly but the top half looks good but the bottom half seems to be dying off.

The photo is just one example . Any ideas ?

Should I split my plant mass up ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190913_135905.jpg
    IMG_20190913_135905.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
9000 lumen?
pic doesn't seem to show bottomhalf dying, could you give more pics and also a full tank shot?

Sorry it must have auto corrected . 1800 lumens , I also have two 10w 1000 lumens I could connect to further it to 3800 altogether . Not sure if they would be too much for a low tech tank ?

I tried to get better pictures .

Attachments

• IMG_20190913_174741.jpg
    IMG_20190913_174741.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20190913_174728.jpg
    IMG_20190913_174728.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 209
How old is the tank
Ferts?
Lighting hours?
Waterchanges?

3/4 weeks now.
8 hours which I'm thinking of extending due to it being a low tech tank.
TNC Complete once a week .
Once a week just now as it's newly established.

Agree with Ed re more info.

Are you using co2?

No co2. I'm going low tech .

Last edited:
Okey dokes.

I think the problem is with too much light. You are showing up nutrient deficiencies quickly. The plants are wanting to grow but you are not adding the co2 that they are wanting.

Best to cut down lighting intensity and period to perhaps 6 hours. The plants will find it much easier.

Edit - Even with a co2 tank lighting often starts at 50% and 6 hours gradually adjusting up to 8 hours and a higher intensity.For no CO2 you want to start lower and move up to the 50% level.

Okey dokes.

I think the problem is with too much light. You are showing up nutrient deficiencies quickly. The plants are wanting to grow but you are not adding the co2 that they are wanting.

Best to cut down lighting intensity and period to perhaps 6 hours. The plants will find it much easier.

Edit - Even with a co2 tank lighting often starts at 50% and 6 hours gradually adjusting up to 8 hours and a higher intensity.For no CO2 you want to start lower and move up to the 50% level.

Ok I can cut down the lighting if need be I have 2x10w lights that are alot dimmer than the 20w or should I stick with the light and reduce the photo period ?

Should I also increase fert dosing X2 week to help combat the deficiency?

By more and large do you mean starting at 6 hours and slowing every 2 weeks increasing the light period an extra 15mins?

Back