• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leca question

Nont

Hi there,

I purchased some leca because I want to try semi-hydroponic growing succulents. Since I've been soaking it for about three days and it hasn't yet sunk, I'm wondering if it should sink or not.

Cheers

LECA will not sink if fully submerged. It cannot be used as an aquarium substrate. I use LECA to grow house plant, half filled with water. A better alternative is bonsai grade crushed larva rock that will sink. I use it as substrate in my planted shrimp bowl. It has greater porosity than LECA and can retain water and nutrients better.

Thanks for the reply guys.
I'd be interested in how you get on with the suculents so please keep us posted on that.
Sure I will!

So, I have further questions, as I’m new to terrestrial plant keeping. Article on the internet are pretty confusing.
1. Why leca? Why isn’t pumice be used since it has more porousity?
2. How can I tell which plants require drainage holes? Do orchid need one?

Hi all
1. Why leca? Why isn’t pumice be used since it has more porousity?
2. How can I tell which plants require drainage holes? Do orchid need one?
Leca will always remain aerated, which is why they are suggesting it for succulents.

If you were watering the plants normally, then pumice is a really good medium.

The simple answer is all terrestrial plants require drainage holes in their pots.

Cheers Darrel

I've been following r/SemiHydro for a while, and it has quite a lot of good "trial and improvement" posts, I'd suggest checking out it out as I think you could learn from some of the posts there 👍

Hi all
Leca will always remain aerated, which is why they are suggesting it for succulents.

If you were watering the plants normally, then pumice is a really good medium.

The simple answer is all terrestrial plants require drainage holes in their pots.

Cheers Darrel
Terrestrial plant roots need oxygen and moisture to thrive. Constantly submerged roots can lead to rot and drainage holes prevent it from happening. LECA provides good oxygenation and drainage, and is great for succulent. But pumice and larva rock provide better nutrient and moisture retention, and perform better for moisture loving plants. My LECA is placed in fish bowls without drainage holes, but I can see where the water level is and only fill to half way up. I let evapotranspiration draw down the water near the bottom before the next watering. Without drainage holes, the media don't get dry out as quickly, allowing less frequent watering but at the expense of more frequent monitoring.

Back