• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Dimmer solution - BUT

Interesting reading through thread, I have recently picked up an ADA moonlight, as part of a bundle deal with an ADA 60p (amazing deal), got set up in my current scape 'new start'.

It looks great but boy dose this unit kick out some time, and was wondering if I get a dimmer for unit, but am worry about damaging the unit using the dimmer unit from lite-house.

So might consider bexhaystack mod.

Hi Andrew, I never did get the dimmer, I just put some insulation tape over a third of the lights - not stylish, but cheaper than a dimmer switch!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Bexhaystack, wondering how the you are getting on with your mod, have tried to remove tape. Wondering if the heat generated would melt tape?

Interesting reading through thread, I have recently picked up an ADA moonlight, as part of a bundle deal with an ADA 60p (amazing deal), got set up in my current scape 'new start'.

It looks great but boy dose this unit kick out some time, and was wondering if I get a dimmer for unit, but am worry about damaging the unit using the dimmer unit from lite-house.

So might consider bexhaystack mod.

Bexhaystack, wondering how the you are getting on with your mod, have tried to remove tape. Wondering if the heat generated would melt tape?
Sorry for not seeing your question earlier
The tape comes off just fine and I reckon that any residue could be wiped off with a bit of white spirit.

Good to know that the dimmer is working for you, how long have you had it running with your Moonlight?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

how long have you had it running with your Moonlight?

Not long if I'm honest, very recent purchase... Thou I know Planty has used the same dimmer unit on his ADA Moonlights for a number months, suggested that dimmer was still working fine.

I didn't go with tape option you suggested as I didn't like the visible tape when viewing tank from sofa. Thou might have been fine with white insulation tape, only had black.

Sorry to raise an old thread, I've recently picked up an DIM12C from Litehouse to dimmer my Ada Moonlights.

Dimming my LEDs just fine...:cool:

Cost me £58 which included delivery.

Am chasing them up for purchasing one of these for my 601 and deliver to Australia. Was there a link to item on their site? ...or was it a special order? Algae is killing me slowly with the 601 on just 5 hours/day!

I have just bought me one of these dimmers - just wondering if those of you who have been using it with success (@Planty ) have also been using a transformer on the Aquasky or if you just have it plugged straight into the socket?

Funnily enough, I took the dimmer off because I could run at full power with almost 0 algae issues. I just get the odd bit of green spot which is phosphate driven due to my use of RO water and ADA ferts. I just run really high Co2. I have added one of these to ramp up and down my Aquasky light https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/led-controllerdimmer-for-twinstar-lights-3615-p.asp Its just plugged in in line, still using the transformer.

I was speaking to someone in the states that said the original Aquasky lights had issues, but ADA swapped LED supplier so later versions of the Moon onwards have all been dimmable. Not too sure how much truth is in that, but I have been dimming my Aquasky Moon in one way or another for over 12 months with no issues.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bttp07ijO-e/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=19llavj7wr7b

@Planty that's a lush looking tank!

Just to clarify, when you where using the dimmer, did you also have the lights plugged in to something like this?
15509296366066007642369187718257.jpg

Hi all,
I am considering purchasing DIM12C too, for my Aquasky 601 (the model that preceded the current 'G' one).
I hesitate forking out circa £60 for it, so I was wondering if anyone has been using it recently for the same light unit with success?
I recently uprooted my water sprite for using it as a floating plant but not sure if this will work as a long-term dimming solution..

Many thanks,
Giorgos

Hi all,
I am considering purchasing DIM12C too, for my Aquasky 601 (the model that preceded the current 'G' one).
I hesitate forking out circa £60 for it, so I was wondering if anyone has been using it recently for the same light unit with success?
I recently uprooted my water sprite for using it as a floating plant but not sure if this will work as a long-term dimming solution..

Many thanks,
Giorgos
Pretty expensive for a simple rotary dimmer...

now here is the complication.. based on the power supply picture
photo-2027-11-2014-2020-2023-2018-jpg.jpg

It's not a simple constant voltage array.
Oddly enough people have added simple constant voltage dimmers like the Dim12c.
It is AFAICT not the correct way to do it.
Simply put you are PWM doubling if you do it this way causing the driver (orig power supply) to constantly reset and recalibrate voltage out.

Dim12c looks to be a constant voltage based dimmer just like any $6 US in line dimmer though those usually list 24V as max input (6A is common)
Nominal Supply Voltage Range9 - 32 V DC
Max voltage is listed as higher BUT..again kind of a cludge method.

AFAICT the easiest way to do it "correctly" is replace the power supply with a 36V constant voltage supply ..add LDD-HW-1A and a dimming method.
Or a simple meanwell AC/DC drive w/ pot dimming capability..
HLG-40H-36AB
24-36V 1.1A..Se w/ the ab you could trim output down to the .91A spec of the original
Should work great..
Probably about the same cost as your dimmer.. ;)
AB allows voltage/current adj and dimming..
CAREFUL the alpha character is important when buying.
Would completely replace the orig power supply..

NOW there are assumptions here and as I said others experiences seem to show it works "ok".

Above sounds complicated but it isn't...

Last edited:
Thanks for your input @oreo57.
I’ve decided to just stick to the floating plants solution for now.
I was contemplating using the stock light unit but this is no longer an option as I found out directly from AquaOne that the PAR output of the said light unit is only 9.. 😒

Back