• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Floodlight

There are a few people using these on ASW but generally on much larger tanks but for the life of me I can't find the specific post, it wasn't even that long ago. I would suspect that it'll be a huge amount of light though.

interesting. Would like to see one in action

I tried one of these on my big tank (think it was the 40w version) out of curiosity, don't have a par meter but seemed very dim for the wattage and gave a really horrible colour rendition with harsh shadows. They'd probably grow plants OK in a nano but I'd avoid them for aesthetic reasons.

in that case ill leave it. thanks for the replies everybody.

I tried one of these on my big tank (think it was the 40w version) out of curiosity, don't have a par meter but seemed very dim for the wattage and gave a really horrible colour rendition with harsh shadows. They'd probably grow plants OK in a nano but I'd avoid them for aesthetic reasons.

i tried a 30 watt led flood light and was amazed at the amount of light produced in my 4 ft aquarium better then my tmc 1000 grobeam the floodlight was rated at 5000 lumens

Is about just as bright as a regular T5 of the same wattage. Only get these if you need a little extra penetration or if you want the shimmer effect

Guys check this out The Dark Side or What Lurks Beneath | Page 3 | UK Aquatic Plant Society and this LED on the cheap | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I haven't found them to be too dim they come in a range of wattages, also a dimmable version, it's just a question of finding the one fit for purpose.

I've posted some PAR tables in the second thread for 10 and 20 watt versions from the plantedtank forum.

DIYLED_zps47aac461.jpg

Thanks for sharing that. It may save me some trouble. Was looking at lighting options for a 30" tank that needs a new set. Now I just need to pick a strength as it's unlikely to be too different to yours, being only 6 inches longer.

Just bought one, will be doing the same as as what Troi posted above to mount, all only once we have moved to the new house, so watch this space.

20W Pure White 6500K LED Waterproof Yard Wall Outdoor Flood Light Lamp | eBay They were one of the cheapest eBay sellers - not necessarily the best, however they are a Top-rated seller so pretty reliable. One of my lights didn't work but it was quickly replaced with no hassle.

I'm a goodly way into copying you Troi. I'll honestly say that the ebay seller wasn't the easiest to deal with, but they got it right in the end which is all that matters when all is told. I'm also now the proud owner of 2 boxes of wheels which I have no idea what to do with, but I'll think of something. Might stick them on e-bay ;)

Back