• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED lighting using regular LEDS?

jarthel

I've seen the DIY LED discussion where high power LEDS from CREE were used. But I've recently seen (chinese website) an LED lighting using regular-shaped LEDs (around 300+ LEDs mostly white). The power rating is only 19+W for the 4ft version.

Any thoughts on this type of lighting? Do you think this would be suitable for deep tanks (mine is 70cm deep)?

thank you

If the LEDs are not rated as super bright or ultra bright, then i doubt it will be much use.
The amount of light produced by LEDs is usualy quoted in micro candella (mcd). If you compare the mcd output of your proposed unit to that of tried and tested units it should give a clue as to the effectiveness.

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
If the LEDs are not rated as super bright or ultra bright, then i doubt it will be much use.
The amount of light produced by LEDs is usualy quoted in micro candella (mcd). If you compare the mcd output of your proposed unit to that of tried and tested units it should give a clue as to the effectiveness.

Cheers,
James

all the LEDs are super/ultra bright.

Hi all,
I've been mucking about with the newer Gu10 5W LED lamps to make small portable, relatively portable grow lights, for moving around the lab., and they work very well.Theoretically I don't see why 120° beam angle ones wouldn't work as aquarium lights, although you would have to be able to make a water-proof housing, as you would have 240V to the fitting. The MR16 12volt might be safer.

The ones I've got are these (although not from homewatt):
<http://www.homewatt.co.uk/index.php...ategory_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=15>

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I've been mucking about with the newer Gu10 5W LED lamps to make small portable, relatively portable grow lights, for moving around the lab., and they work very well.Theoretically I don't see why 120° beam angle ones wouldn't work as aquarium lights, although you would have to be able to make a water-proof housing, as you would have 240V to the fitting. The MR16 12volt might be safer.

The ones I've got are these (although not from homewatt):
<http://www.homewatt.co.uk/index.php...ategory_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=15>

cheers Darrel

I've seen the same thing on ebay. $199 US for 10 pieces

Back