• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED on the cheap

Mike Edwardes

I'm thinking about experimenting with one of these over a 45 x 30 x 30 cm tank:

10W+Daylight+LED+Outdoor+Exterior+Wall+Flood+Light+Security+Floodlight+IP65+%257C+eBay.jpg

6000K and stated as 1000 lumen output. They come in a range of wattages from 10-50 watts. Has anyone tried one of these or have any opinions on how successful it's likely to be?

Thanks,

That does look good. I'm a bit worried that just using one on a small tank will look a bit stark because it's basically a point source and will cast very deep shadows. At that price, I'll just have to experiment I suppose :)

The shadows cast aren't too deep, and I find those that are just add to the scape. They also give incredible glitter lines and an amazing ripple effect.

I'll let you in to a secret...I did my research and the PAR tables below may well be of help, the originals can be found here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195589 page 7, but the whole thread is worth a read.

Actually, come to think of it I used the 20 watt versions, not the 30 watt as stated in my journal; I've just amended it.

ledflood.jpg
ledflood20w.jpg

I suspect these are not all created equal. There are lots that look pretty identical on the outside, but I tried a generic looking 40w one from ebay and it was woeful - really dim (although I didn't have a PAR meter for proper measurements), harsh light and horrible colour rendition.

If you're going to buy one, try and order from the same supplier as someone who has had success with theirs.

Back