Length of T5 bulbs.....

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by grandb3rry, 17 Mar 2010.

1. grandb3rry

grandb3rry Member

I'm upgrading my T8 lighting on Fluval Roma 90. The length of the tank is 60 cm, existing T8 bulb is I think about 46cm long. Are there T5 bulbs of the same 46cm size? Or if not what sizes does T5 bulb come in? I seem to be unable to find any info on any website that sells them and it is a real pain.

I'm planning to buy this unit, to replace my T8's link: http://www.fish4aquatics.com/en-gb/dept_58.html
    I cannot actually start cycling my tank without light upgrade as I'm planning keeping HC cuba plant.

Thanks for help!

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

3. grandb3rry

grandb3rry Member

I've taken measure and if I want to upgrade my existing under-hood T8 lights, I have about 55cm in length, are there any shorter T5? Cheers

4. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

549mm is the shortist T5 lamp lampspec do, according to your size of 55cm (550mm) there is enough room for a 549mm tube, but you will have to change the lamp holders + ballast unit - mat be better to buy a ready built light fitting, remove the old T8 unit and fit the new unit.

Regards
    Paul.

5. grandb3rry

grandb3rry Member

well I presume it would be enough but 549mm is the length of the bulb itself not including lamp holders or am I wrong?
    Sorry for my stupidity, I'm new to this and trying to upgrade without need of purchasing an expensive luminaire. I want to fit T5 bulbs with this ballast: http://www.fish4aquatics.com/en-gb/dept_58.html

Hope this gives you a picture!

Kind regards
    Arthur

6. grandb3rry

grandb3rry Member

There are 439mm T5 24W Juwel bulbs which suited my length and are brilliant! I shall start my journal soon!