• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lets start at the beginning...

So....the 70w metal halide has arrived - :thumbup: & I have added another layer of texture & colour to the rock.
I need a few more coats to add some highlights & define the sand base, the idea is to blend the sand foreground into the rock base...it all takes time though.

e0d08303.jpg

Well I filled up the tank with water today, no leaks but the overflow was set a little high meaning the tank water level was only 4mm below the top edge.
Next up I am going to build the filter...
Here is the freshly filled murky tank & a close up of the rock detail under water.

f525939e.jpg

b00680cc.jpg

Mortis said:
How are you preventing it from floating ?

exactly what I was thinking.

excellent work so far.

John

I just stuck it down with silicone.
When you run a flame over polystyrene it shrinks back & forms a hard surface, this sticks well with silicone.
I have made some adjustments to the overflow height but not started the trickle tower filter yet..

I think I have worked out my filter design now & will be having a go at getting sorted this weekend..
In the mean time I have to decide on the planting :? I just cant make my mind up on the plants, I am considering a specimen sword to go in the top terrace planting area so it can grow up & out of the tank. It is what to plant in the other planting areas? I dont want to plant anything in the sand though as this is for the corrys.
Here is a shot I took a few days back when the tank was full. I ran the tank with the power head for two days & used a power filter with carbon too. This was in an attempt to rid anything nasty that might be in the epoxy rock :?
Anyway it shows the planting areas...

45f67acc.jpg

top right anubis bottom left crypts bottom middle bottom perhaps some moss that'll grow and hang down the front and no idea for back right

have each little planting area as something different

This looks brilliant! the idea of making your own hardscape for an aquarim is brilliant, seen and tried it for doing a dart frog tank, that has to be very humid but didnt think it would effective uderwater! obviously a few adjustments would need to be made

looking good foxfish and I would definitely take my time in planning this out

Thanks mate - maybe a bit controversial for some but it is looking pretty good now :)
I have got the filter sussed out & working now, I am using a 3 speed Grundfos central heating pump with a after market housing! The water is so clear even after a few days!
Anyhow I am not rushing into the planting & will be seeking as many opinions as possible....

Thanks, it fact it looks a lot better now with fish & plants in place.
The tank has been running for two weeks & the plants & fish are doing very well, no issues of any description as yet!
I am using a Aqua turn conversion on a central heating pump & this has been great fun to play with.
The pump has three power settings giving approx 1000 - 2500 & 4000lph. I am using the middle setting & this gives an actual 1800lph but 25% of the flow goes through the trickle filter.

Yeah well I have built a few over the years & found that if you enter the water at a tangent, then the length of the reactor can be dramatically reduced but I also found that if the water is added fast enough a vortex will appear inside he reactor.

I still have a large stock of PVC fitting & found all the components I needed in my store, I have used 75mm clear PVC as the main tube for this one.
I have had it spinning in my outdoor test tank (old bath) & it gets a lovely vortex right down the whole length of the pipe but required a 60w pump to get it there!

Once a vortex is spinning nicely there will be a 100% dissolve rate, in fact I have built very short versions from 40mm pipe that worked extremely well with just a small powerhead.
I am really surprised there are not commercially made vortex units for sale, although you can buy those internal devices that are filled with bioballs & they can be converted easily.

Back