• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lews first planted tank :)

ReefLewis

Hi everyone,
For the last 7 years I have kept reef tanks, but moving out has meant this was no longer a possibility. So I have set up a planted tank that has been running since just before Christmas. It is an aqua nano 40, running co2 and a radion xr15w (left over from reef tank).

The current stock includes 15 ember tetras, 3 female paskai rainbows, 6 corydoras habrosus, 1 stiphodon goby, a female honey gourami (going tomorrow due to aggression) and 1 otocinclus (who came alone already from an established tank break down). Invert wise there are about 8 or 10 red cherry shrimp, 4 or 5 yellow cherries, a few chocolates and 5 amano shrimps.

Parameters: pH 6-6.5, no3 10, kh, po4 0.04 (about to start dosing this soon), co2 15 (during day), temp 23.5 (titanium heater controlled by DD controller).

Plant wise I have swapped and chopped a lot of times and will likely continue to do so. As you can see there is a fair bit of java fern which I love the look of, some fissidens Phoenix moss which is growing great. The blyxa japonica at the bottom I'm considering removing and replacing with a more carpeting plant. Other than that there are various anubias and a couple of buces.

Any feedback appreciated:))

c99607118306a865968b4cdcd89d1912.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

What a great tank!! Excellent use of the full height of the cube style tank (much harder to get looking great like this!). I like the planting and would not be changing anything anytime soon! my only suggestion would be to think about the final height of the plants you have selected and ensure that those you have planed in the base go from smallest at the front to largest at the back (this might be what you were thinking in your comment?). You might also like to explore a background plant such as crypt balansae or a vallisneria sp. - I'm always a fan of a planted background to a tank personally...

Do you have any nutrients at the base? Your crypts in particular might appreciate some root tabs if not.

Interested to see how you get on with the reef light - or have you tuned it to a freshwater setting.

Again, awesome tank! :)

What a great tank!! Excellent use of the full height of the cube style tank (much harder to get looking great like this!). I like the planting and would not be changing anything anytime soon! my only suggestion would be to think about the final height of the plants you have selected and ensure that those you have planed in the base go from smallest at the front to largest at the back (this might be what you were thinking in your comment?). You might also like to explore a background plant such as crypt balansae or a vallisneria sp. - I'm always a fan of a planted background to a tank personally...

Do you have any nutrients at the base? Your crypts in particular might appreciate some root tabs if not.

Interested to see how you get on with the reef light - or have you tuned it to a freshwater setting.

Again, awesome tank! :)

First of all thanks for the comments Matt :)

The plant height isn't something I've considered too much. In fact I would be interested in how the blyxa would look when its grown out some more. It may look silly but it may also look quite cool.

As for background plants, I'm not sure yet. I used to have some junca repens get half way up the tank in the back left but I didnt like it so got rid. Vallis is off the list because I dont want it getting out of hand too quickly.

I do.not have soil as originally I only wanted plants on the wood. However I hsve added JBL clay balls and will also add root tabs from tomorrow. I have had the blyxa for about two months now and it seems to have been happy without, though tabs will do no harm.

The radion is set on a freshwater planted tank preset, though is only running at a maximum intensity of 15%. I started it at 20 and it burned some riccia I had at the time

So I paid for the root tabs and a phosphate test but left them at work So with the lockdown and all it will be Thursday when I get them.

I did however take 5 more cherries and the last yellow. Honey gourami is no longer with me.

So here's a picture of two corys happy know the moss. They often sit there at the end of the day.
8ece08ad4d0ae99662e60d34f1747c8a.jpg

I'd return the phosphate test to the shop and for that money get more plants instead. I can guarantee this will give much better effect on your tank in some time.
Whilst I agree testing for PO4 in a planted tank isn't particularly important, I actually enjoy testing my water a lot. I think it's from when I did reefs. I also work at an aquarium so it's nice to just sit at home and work on my own tank.

Plus I dont need anymore plants for now

So I added some catappa bark that Ive had sitting around for a while, and the amanos seem to be loving it for some reason. Being at the front of the tank, I got a chance to picture them. I haven't edited this photos, and this is what they came out like. They do not appear this blue in real life, but you can still see a hint.
amano 2.jpeg amano 1.jpeg

Last couple of days the plants have really been doing well. I have been adding the Seachem Phosphorus at 1ml a day to start. The plants have responded amazingly. Check this anubias nana pearling.
Also, I have seen several shrimplets, some red some brown, so we will see what comes of that.

One thing that has baffled me a little, is that the anubias nana in the bottom left has dropped off three or four leaves overnight. Not sure why. It is growing pretty fast and pearls as well. I'll keep an eye on it.

Is that pearling from an area if damage on the plant? Just wondering if there is a link with the leaves dropping off...

Is that pearling from an area if damage on the plant? Just wondering if there is a link with the leaves dropping off...
It is from a damaged area (I didnt know about this before) however the leaves are dropping from another anubias the opposite side of the tank.

Haven't posted in a while given that things have been all over the place this last couple of months.

The tank is doing great. Re scaped a couple of times but the wood can barely be seen anymore.

Now have 6 galaxy rasboras, a siamese fighter.

Pictures 1 and 2 are before and after removing a load of hornwart that I used to like but just annoyed me in the end.
70ca8c742dbc46f61845081b8b42ad57.jpg
1bffd1110fca89e78874b709cef97aa4.jpg
cbe2d6e71d0d1e0abb5b436ce18b63df.jpg
d50672bce78ef6fd5e6a931bbcd89965.jpg

Hi, Did you add more Blyxa Japonica to the tank or is that the growth since first adding it. I'm thinking of adding it to my tank, but I dont want it to take over.

Hi, Did you add more Blyxa Japonica to the tank or is that the growth since first adding it. I'm thinking of adding it to my tank, but I dont want it to take over.
Growth, but its because I split it from the main stem. I find if you just leave it as one it doesn't seem as much growth.

I'd 100% give it a go

What happened to the previous occupants?
Sorry for late reply, they were just the new additions.

Current stocking after a few changes is 15 embers, 4 or 5 habrosus cories, 1 reticulated flying fox, lots of shrimp.

10 axelrodi rasboras on their way.

Late update. Blyxa filled nicely, woodwork changed around a bit. Some axelrodi rasboras on their way to go with the embers
41f33faaa278a0a3c042f5dae1dbad9e.jpg
3d0a7ad2a7d5ee0d2ff5c67282ebe4f6.jpg
b5609e6eb13134a653c03ea50812468f.jpg

I would recommend rehoming the flying fox,that is potentially a 16cm fish when adult
I know, I was really struggling with BBA and he was last resort. Fully intend on removing within next couple of months.

Back