• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lianko

So it's what, week nine or someting like that? No change really, just aded some more Undulata from our very own Steve but that's it. I'd appreciate some advice on the following.

I still have the Bacopa in there and it's helped to keep back algae - so far not a speck in sight. I'm thinking of upping the TPN+ and Easy Carbo dosing next week from 0.5ml each to 1ml each, do you think this is a good move? I won't be removing the Bacopa for another couple of weeks or so just to be on the safe side.

I have my inlet on the left and outlet on the right. There is a lot of flow on the right, but not very much/low flow to the left of the tank. I have noticed that the right side of the tank looks more filled in/taller than the left. I'm not sure if the plants have grown (although they probably have a little) but this can't just be coincidence can it? Would it be a good idea to swap the inlet/outlet around for a while to equal it out?

As said, I would really appreciate any advice on this so thanks in advance. :)

Thanks for the advice mate. ;) I've had a think and come to the conclusion that 1ml seems a bit too much for this stage of the aquascape, especially considering there's only Crypts. I'll probably increase it to 7.5ml or so though.

I've also decided to change the inlet/outlet rond the next time I get a chance, it can't just be coincidence that the right side is taller and fuller than the left.

I'll get some photos up when I get a chance too, not much has changed in the flesh, but when comparing with older photos it probably has!

What is the reddy browny crypt at the back? I think the wood isn't going to be a problem once the plants have taken off properly, it could just meld into the scene.

sari said:
What is the reddy browny crypt at the back? I think the wood isn't going to be a problem once the plants have taken off properly, it could just meld into the scene.

It certainly is, from Clark himself. ;)

I think you're right about the wood, there is already some nice Crypt leaves hanging over it so it's becoming less visible as the scape progresses.

I think it's about time for an update!

On looking at the last photo, I think it's grown quite a bit, which is great! It's starting to evolve into something nice, a bit unruly and maybe taking the 'jungle' side of things a bit too literal but nice nontheless (in my opinion anyways). :p

I haven't noticed much root growth or runners but that will probably come in time. The majority of growth has come from above the substrate. There's some tall plants at the front, and not so tall at the back etc but I'll sort that out in time.

I did slack a little on the dosing side of things for a while but luckily the tank didn't seem to suffer at all! I'm pretty sure some of the plants melted away but that's no big deal. I want to up the dosing to around 7ml of each (TPN+ and Easy Carbo) as well as the lighting to seven hours a day.

I'll get some photos up later. ;)

DSCF6085.jpg

your crypys seem to like it in there!

may i ask what the potted plant is for?....looks like HM? or something?....it was in the last pic too

Thanks for the comments, it means a lot! :D

It's Bacopa Australis - I put it in there at the beginning to help with excess nutrients but I think it's safe to take it out within the next week or so.

I'm goin through that stage that I usually go through at the moment - hating my aquascape. I always go through this phase and want to rip it down, change it, do whatever. It's just a bit later with this one! :rolleyes: I don't really know why I get this to be honest - anyone else get 'hating aquascape syndrome'?

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding a few plants just to occupy me and give it a bit of a change. Here's what I'm thinking:

Eleocharis
Saggittaria
E. Tennelus
Hygrophila Polysperma

I think they'll be fine with the conditions in my tank, and it will occupy me a bit more, fill up a bit of space and help me to learn by growing and caring for a few more plant species.

Anyway, I can always remove them at a later date, eh!

I added two Dwarf Yellow Honey Gourami a few weeks ago, just as something to look at. I went to Aquatic Design Centre today and some small Rasboras and Danios really caught my eye - I might go back on Friday to get some (and some Cherry Shrimp).

I'll post an update in the next week or so. Let me know what you guys think in the meantime! :D

aaronnorth said:
please stick at it, it is turning out to be a very good aquascape.
I dont necassarily hate my aquascape, i just dont like a few things, and i will make adjustments until it pleases me.

No need to worry, I'm forcing myself to stick with it this time! I don't necessarily hate it either, just get really frustrated with it.

The two Gourami have been removed and five Cherry Barbs in! I went around the local fish shops at the weekend and they all seemed to have Cherry Barbs in so I decided to go for it. They're quite small at the moment but great fish.

I'm gonna start adding a few different plants like I said in the last post. If you have anything spare, please let me know (check out the list above or my post in for sale/buy/swap/etc)!

It's an interesting point about not being happy with your aquascape and I had an in-depth discussion with a friend about this recently.

I think to develop as an aquascaper it is almost necessary to never be entirely happy with your work. If you are then you may run the risk of becoming complacent and stop trying.

I've dealt with some very experienced people in the hobby who think they know everything there is to know, and are somewhat close-minded to new/different ideas and techniques. This is a quite sad. One of the best things about this hobby is that its scope is infinite. Learn from your (and others') mistakes, and grow as an aquatic gardener and aquascaper.

Personally I admire your patience, Thomas, and it would be a shame to strip it all down after seeing it develop for so long.

Sometimes all you need are little tweaks here and there to turn a mediocre layout into a brilliant one. This is particularly appropriate for longer-term layouts. To some degree as much can be learnt, all be it through different aspects, through seeing a long-term layour mature vs. churning out lots of short-term 'scapes.

Both 'scaping styles have their benefits and are suited for different individual circumstances. Not everyone can afford or have the resources and spare time to strip there tank down regularly, of course.

Blimey, I went off on one there! I hope it makes sense, anyway. :D

BTW Cherry barbs are a great choice!

I agree with what you're saying, George. Hell, I'm surprised at my own patience with this one! At the moment, I'm loving the Crypts, Anbuias, Ferns etc - just because I like them as a plant. I would like to try something a bit more challenging in the future with different plants, techniques etc. Trying and learning new things is definately one of great aspects to this hobby.

It's an interesting subject for sure!

I haven't actually looked at the tank properly for a few days and bits of it are starting to take shape and grow in nicely. I'm still not sure there's much going on above the substrate (apart from existing leaves etc growing) but I'm sure it'll take off soon.

I find that's the best cure for 'aquascape frustration' :lol: just dont' look at it for a few days! Then when you do, you can appreciate it.

This has to be the worst photo ever taken, but a photo nonetheless.

DSCF6107.jpg

I'm really liking the Cherry Barbs. They are so tame - always getting excited when I'm by the tank and pecking away at my arm when it's in the tank. The males are really persistent in chasing the females too, it's really interesting to watch them interact. So hopefully we'll have a bit of breeding soon.

I've also added some H.Polysperma, Hydrocotyle Versintacularia (or whatever it's called) floating, and E.Accicularis. Let's see how that goes. I'm also goin to add some Sagittaria and E.Tenellus at some point.

There's still a lot of growing to do but it's getting there, eh? Anyway, comments and critiques very welcome! ;)

Back