• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lifeless Nerit snail.

Graeme Edwards

Founder
Hi guys,

well I bout my self a nerit snail from AE, it arrived last night, ploped it into my tank, watched to see it emerge, I waited, and waited and waited, went to bed, and still no movement.
It arrived in a pot in wool, i was expecting it to be in water or some kind of damp media.
Any idea how long it takes for them to come round?

Cheers,
Graeme.

Was that the new ruby ones? Thy did look nice when I looked at them.

I spent my formative years in fishkeeping with me and my Dad trying to rid tanks of snails, so I seem to have some kind of phobia about putting any back in!!

This is not good, this snail must be dead. How would we know if the snails we bought we actualy alive. They could send out hundreds of dead snails. I dout they would but who would know. Ill give it a wake up call later if it still hasnt come round. :(

Graeme Edwards said:
This is not good, this snail must be dead. How would we know if the snails we bought we actualy alive. They could send out hundreds of dead snails. I dout they would but who would know. Ill give it a wake up call later if it still hasnt come round. :(

no way to tell im afraid...

normally though, when theyre dead, you can tell by looking at the state of the bottom of their foot inside the shell.. itll look good and healthy if hes just asleep, youll be able to see curling at the edges, and often bubbles of gas coming out if hes dead.

Graeme Edwards said:

look in its shell.. does it look healthy? or is it starting to decompose? they go yucky very quickly when they die, also, if its dead, chances are your fish will peck at it. they can take days to come round.. bear in mind that you had the temp real low until recently, give it 3 or 4 days from when you turned it up.

Back