• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light, browning plants and algea

onetwothree

Hi All,

I recently planted some eldea dense, which has grown very fast. One of the things I've noticed, is that as the stems reach the top of the water, they become far greener and thicker at the surface. The number of leaves and health of the plant is starkly different on the longer stems that are now at the surface. Many of the shorter stems seem to be browning and dying, while the ones that have managed to push through to the surface becoming thick, lush and green. It isn't really that crowded, so there isn't much overshadowing being cast by the larger plants.

To me, it seems obvious that there is insufficient light reaching the subtstrate. I have tried turning the light intensity up on my Fluval Aquasky, but I get a noticable increase in algea that becomes unmanagable pretty quickly.

What is the solution here? I've been toying with the idea of getting another light.

Additional info - tank is 100 litres and 45 cm deep.

Thanks,

Alex

You can add more light up to the point the limit on growth is no longer light but becomes CO2 and nutrients, then it becomes counter productive and you will get algae. What light do you currently have on there?

Light is just one factor. Availability of CO2 and other nutrients the other. Is there also stronger flow at the surface - for example from a spray bar - if so that will also help explain this. (I presume you’re not adding CO2 or liquid carbon).

If you cut 6 inches off healthy surface growth and replant in the substrate does it struggle or push up to the surface again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can add more light up to the point the limit on growth is no longer light but becomes CO2 and nutrients, then it becomes counter productive and you will get algae. What light do you currently have on there?

Light is just one factor. Availability of CO2 and other nutrients the other. Is there also stronger flow at the surface - for example from a spray bar - if so that will also help explain this. (I presume you’re not adding CO2 or liquid carbon).

If you cut 6 inches off healthy surface growth and replant in the substrate does it struggle or push up to the surface again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m using the Fluval Aquasky. There is more flow at the surface yes, from the outlet. I use liquid CO2 on occasion.

I have not tried replanting the very healthy looking stuff at the top, but I can give it ago. The original cuttings from the elodea were all very healthy when planted.

Back