• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light Dimmer

I'm getting a bit of green Algae in one of my tanks but I can’t turn the lamp down. I’ve ordered a dimmable LED COB lamp to replace it but I now need to get a dimmer. Any recommendations for a 220V dimmer?

The photo period is normally about 8 hours so I could reduce this as well if needed.

Its best to ask the vendor from the led what type of dimmer should/could be applied.. :)

Common light dimmers in the hardware store are often phase dimmers for regular light bulbs. Not all led drivers can handle it.

In most casses for led a Variable Voltage dimmer works best. Often sold as Fan Speed controller.
Can be bought quite simple and cheap
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000W-Fan-...410228?hash=item52162dac34:g:WAgAAOSw22FcC-Y2

or more complex and expensive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4000W-220V...641293&hash=item3b321bd335:g:Rt0AAOSwFqpc6fiB

Personaly i would go for the cheap option when it comes to a single light.

The thing is with LED drivers they conain coils actualy same as a FAN does (Elctro motor). Than if you use a Phase Dimmer the coils start humming and or beeping, the dimmer seems to change the frequency making it noisy. The variable voltage dimmer brings the voltage down having the same end result but the frequency isn't changed and thus it stays silent. :)

Than you are indeed best off with a variable voltage dimmer.. If you search Ebay for AC220 Fan or Motor controller you'll find various option. AC motor controller is always a Variable Voltage regulator.

And for LED light dimmer you need to see always the specs what type of dimmer it is.

But A led light dimmer can work as well just specify 220 volt in teh search.

And beware, the drivers in these cob led types are internal and tiny.. They like to burn out.. :)
But can be replaced rather cheap.. Than you need to know actual voltage and mAmp from the cob. The cob itself likely will do the promissed 50.000 but the driver not always.

Last edited:
Back