• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light for 55x45x36 Tank

Jack G

Hi all,

In the process of setting up my new optiwhite 55x45x36 custom tank (Purchased from NACD and must say I am delighted with the build quality, silicone spotless, free delivery. Whats not to like!)

I'm looking for some advice on lighting options. The custom dimensions limit my choices somewhat. In an ideal world I'd love a lighting unit that had fixed brackets and measured 55 across.

My inkling at the moment is for a Twinstar 450SA, But completely open to suggestions.

Thank will be CO2 injected and aiming for a classic nature style with a mixed carpet, crypts, java fern, rotala h'ra etc.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks

take a look at the kessil aw360we tuna sun or the new low profile A360x Tuna Sun with enhanced colouration.

I'd absolutely love a Kessil. Prices are a bit out of my range though - retailing for around £400 as far as I can see.

Ideally I'd like to spend around half that

Hi Jack its Alan ive got a zetlight on my small tank and very pleased with it
I bought the programmer for mine so its good for all the features

@Dadofthree Thanks, will check them out. Not heard a lot about them yet.

@Nuno Gomes That price sounds almost too good to be true? I'm tempted! It's such a beautiful light

I would only consider a Twinstar if I wanted to keep red plants, for everything else the Kessil is vastly superior, unless you don't like the shimmer that is.

I would only consider a Twinstar if I wanted to keep red plants, for everything else the Kessil is vastly superior, unless you don't like the shimmer that is.

Kessil is like marmite. You may like the look of the shimmer (and ceiling disco) but living with it long term........?

Saying it is vastly superior to Twinstar is a very broad statement and incorrect. It is a matter of taste. Imo I’d I’d get a better spread of light and grow carpet plants better with the Twinstar but that is my opinion. The OP needs to see them side by side for a while to decide. YouTube videos are different than real life.

Ps. Twinstar still in another league :)

Kessil is like marmite. You may like the look of the shimmer (and ceiling disco) but living with it long term........?

Saying it is vastly superior to Twinstar is a very broad statement and incorrect. It is a matter of taste. Imo I’d I’d get a better spread of light and grow carpet plants better with the Twinstar but that is my opinion. The OP needs to see them side by side for a while to decide. YouTube videos are different than real life.

Ps. Twinstar still in another league :)

I don't have anything against Twinstar, I just think it's hilarious that such a mediocre product is so highly regarded nowadays, I've seen someone on this forum calling it "premium" before. To be honest, yellowish greens are too high of a price to pay for reasonable reds but you are right about one thing, the OP should get to see both lights live and then make an informed decision.

Imo I’d I’d get a better spread of light and grow carpet plants better with the Twinstar but that is my opinion. T
:confused:
I have a Kessil A160 Tuna Sun on a 60cm x 45cm x 55cm (tall) tank - the light spread is surprisingly even (I expected “edge” effects on that 60cm length) and carpet grows just fine :D

55x45x36 custom tank
If that’s 36cm high, any decent light should grow plants just fine
I’ve a 60P for which I’ve not sorted out lights yet - scaped it anyway and running an older ADA Aquasky 30cm on one side (sitting across the tank front to back), and Flex Mini on the other ... it’s working out surprisingly well
I made certain the Elatine hydropiper is mostly under the Aquasky ;)

I prefer looking at Kessil ceiling shimmer effect over the light spill from Aquasky style LED’s

But if you want popping reds, Kessil 80/160/360 won’t do it (haven’t seen the 360X Tuna Sun irl but not sure it would be enough given the price point)

:confused:
I have a Kessil A160 Tuna Sun on a 60cm x 45cm x 55cm (tall) tank - the light spread is surprisingly even (I expected “edge” effects on that 60cm length) and carpet grows just fine :D

Cool. Geoff Rea has had good results with the kessil 160 also :).
Have you got any pics?

Back