• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light height - Fluval plant 3.0

Jack B

My fluval 3.0 sits very close to the water, meaning light is much stronger in the central strip than at the front and back of the tank

20210228_165317.jpg

Has anyone experimented with raising the height of a unit like this? Is it worthwhile? Easy to do?

I've got a bit of BBA forming in the centre, where the light is strongest, but my background stem plants have a tendency to lose their lower leaves despite full EI regime in a low tech setup. Wondering if more even lighting would help

I actually got for some acrylic cut to the height i wanted and screwed them into the sides of the extendable arms, imagine "ghetto twinstar style". Then i cut a triangle shape out the bottom of the acrylic so they would sit and stay on the glass rim/hood

My fluval 3.0 sits very close to the water, meaning light is much stronger in the central strip than at the front and back of the tank

View attachment 163933

Has anyone experimented with raising the height of a unit like this? Is it worthwhile? Easy to do?

I've got a bit of BBA forming in the centre, where the light is strongest, but my background stem plants have a tendency to lose their lower leaves despite full EI regime in a low tech setup. Wondering if more even lighting would help
Hi, did you sort out your issue as I feel, I'm in a similar predicament. Plenty of growth but few leaves at bottom. M light is about 50 mm from surface of water

Hi, did you sort out your issue as I feel, I'm in a similar predicament. Plenty of growth but few leaves at bottom. M light is about 50 mm from surface of water
Well I've got it jacked up on two drinking glasses for the moment - will see how it goes. The tank's got a perspex cover so it's an easier bodge than for an open top. If the plants respond then I'll do something more pro. Or buy new glasses at least :)

Attachments

• 20210313_212217.jpg
    20210313_212217.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 649
With tanks that wide, I use two Fluval 3's to get full coverage. I don't think the lights are powerful enough to elevate them over the tank.

Well I've got it jacked up on two drinking glasses for the moment - will see how it goes. The tank's got a perspex cover so it's an easier bodge than for an open top. If the plants respond then I'll do something more pro. Or buy new glasses at least :)
Love it. I have done a similar thing, light is now 150mm above water surface. I'm going to monitor things for a few weeks ie plant growth and any algae issues. I also have an acrylic top so need to keep the ultra clean. Thanks for getting back to me 👍🏻

With tanks that wide, I use two Fluval 3's to get full coverage. I don't think the lights are powerful enough to elevate them over the tank.
Thanks - I'll see how it goes. Still only at 60percent...!

Thanks - I'll see how it goes. Still only at 60percent...!
also if you don't mind waiting a bit

also if you don't mind waiting a bit
Thanks - will definitely consider these if the trial is successful 👍

You could rest on brackets maybe going off the bookshelf Mine t5 are raised resting on brackets quite basic keep meaning to get better ones

Back