• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light query (small tank)

vauxhallmark

I've got a little 18x12x12 inch tank which is lit by an arcadia 2 x T8 14 watt (15 inch) tubes luminaire.

I'm able to grow everything i want under them (Glossostigma, eleocharis, crypts, anubius, java fern etc.).

However, I have got to move the tank. As the tank is really old it's looking a bit scruffy (few scratches, and old algae under the silicon), so I'm planning on replacing the tank (and the substrate) and keeping all the other equipment.

If I want to continue to use my existing luminaire I'm constrained to an 18" tank, but in the spot it's moving to, there's room for an 18x15x15" tank. that would give me 50% more volume, and three (count 'em!) inches extra of depth and height - may not sound a lot, but it's a big deal on such a small tank as this.

Anyone got any views on whether increasing the tank size will leave me seriously underpowered in the light department? I don't want or need the highest lighting possible, just to be able to continue to grow the plants I already can - I think the highest light using ones are the glosso and the hairgrass.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

I would say you would be fine as your new tank will be just over 14 gallons, with 2 tubes @ 14 watts each will give you 24 watts so 2 watts per gallon should be fine IMO

Great, thanks for the input, JazzyJeff.

Have ordered the tank - can't wait!

Mark

aaronnorth said:
post a pic when it is set up ;)

Yeah, might as well - any criticism will only help me improve it!

Can tell you the plans now, see if there's any glaring problems:

Tank: 18x15x15" (about 60l)
Sub: ADA Amazon (got)
Filter: Tetratec EX600 (already got - PFK subscription free gift!)
Lights 2 x 14w T8 Arcadia luminaire (already got)
Heater: in tank (just can't be bothered/afford to upgrade it - it's very nice though - can't remember the name but its small and matt black - very unobtrusive)
CO2: pressurised (already got) using Hagen ladder (don't like the fizzing/ticking noises from ceramic difusers).

Plants - very simple layout - basically a slope down from one back corner to the diag opposite front corner. Got a resonable sized bit of wood that I've had for ever - it's shaped like a spring standing up (a spiral) so it looks bigger than it it is when covered with plants, but doesn't sit on the substrate much, doesn't take up much volume of space in the tank, and allows fish to swim into is (I've had Apistogrammas breed inside and under it a few times, and kribs when it was in a bigger tank a while ago).

This will go towards a rear back corner, heater filter inlet and CO2 behind it, with Anubius nana around the bottom spirals, Java fern towards the top.

Medium sized green and brown crypts coming out around the sides to give some graduation down to a decent sized meadow of Cryptocoryne parva. I'll soften it all up with some bits of Glossostima and Eleocharis, but I want to try and keep the number of species down in such a small tank (who am I kidding?).

Anyway, yeah, I'll take some photos and put it in journals when I set it up. Will be a week or two :( .

Mark

Will do when I've got the tank!

What's your 60l tank - 18x15x15" or 24x12x15", or other?

Back