• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting break kills algae! Any truth?

Hi all,

Ive just read on someones website that an hour long break in light each day kills algae. Apparently this is a new scientific discovery that plants can survive this hour long break but algae cant.

Is there any truth in this because it sounds a bit hard to believe to me.

I remember reading this oneyears ago and tried it out for myself.
Didnt seem to make any noticeable difference :/

I don't think it kills algae, but having a siesta period may prevent algae from getting out of hand by reducing the photoperiod. What I mean is for example, my tank lights come on from 6:30- 8:00 am so I can feed the fish in the morning and dose ect then have a 'siesta' till about 4:00 pm then they stay on till 11:00 pm. Without the siesta the lights would be on from 6:30 am till 11:00 pm, so thats 16 and a half hours, which would cause an algae outbreak.
I don't have any algae at all, but I could never prove it being down to the siesta.

It's not a new scientific discovery, but an old wives tale. If anything, siestas hurt the plants as much or more than it does algae. That's why a large percentage of people posting in the algae section asking for help are found to be using siestas.

Cheers,

Back in the early 1980 when Co2 introduction was in its infancy for the majority, the 'light break theory' was advocated by all the leading pioneers & was used by most - including me!
I had a great looking tank using this method (even though we did use very low flow rates & low lighting) but I have never considered using a split light period in recent years.
I kind of like the idea as it might make viewing the tank more convenient & extend the period from lunch time to bed time but whether it stops algae I have no real idea?
The idea was based around cloud cover & rain storms dulling the light patterns in the plants natural environment, I also quite like that idea too & that effect is now available with some of the LED light systems!

Yes, the key was that we were all using low lighting levels and we were not stressing the plants. Flow rates and manic water changes were not as necessary. Everything starts with PAR. So then T5 comes along and all the trouble start.

Cheers,

Yes, the key was that we were all using low lighting levels and we were not stressing the plants. Flow rates and manic water changes were not as necessary. Everything starts with PAR. So then T5 comes along and all the trouble start.

Cheers,
I use T5, albeit still low light IMO. I do infrequent water changes with a low flow rate. I use siesta's and do not post about algae issues because I have none, I don't have shrimp or algae eaters because I do not need them. I feel without my siesta I would have massive algae issues, but I'm not going to scrap my siesta idea just to prove that. If it works for you do it, but overall I wouldn't have a siesta just to kill algae.

Back