lighting distance for frogbit?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 1uke, 12 Oct 2009.

1. 1uke

1uke Member

Wanted to try grow some Frogbit but my T5s/T8s are mounted directly on the tank about 3 inchs from the water. Would this just burn the frogbit?

2. 1uke

1uke Member

Have aquired some I think, So might aswell test.

3. 1uke

1uke Member

Anyone with Amazon Frogbit tell me how far there lights are away from water surface?

4. chilled84

chilled84 Member

My lights are 2 inch from my frogbit im giveing you. They thrive so well. There growth also depends on whats under the leafs too. Some people loose the tenticals, I did at first but now there takeing right off.

5. the fife flyer

the fife flyer Newly Registered

Hi,

I have a Rena Aqualife so the distance would be about the same as yours, running 4 x 5ft T8s so it gets a bit warm under there. My frogbit is growing well.

One question though. Should the roots have "hairs" growing from them?

6. 1uke

1uke Member

Hey, The frogbit has been thriving in my tank since I added it and 3 times now have had to chuck loads. My frogbit had hairs on the roots until I added Siamese Algae Eaters and that's one of the first things they cleaned so I'm assuming its algae as there's no hairs on the roots nowadays.

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Mine are about 6", but i also have a perspex cover

8. the fife flyer

Hmmmmm interesting.

The hairs are in a sort of uniformed growth and assumed they were meant to be there.

9. 1uke

1uke Member

Just looked at mine again and yes there are tiny little hairs on them. I think they stood out more before because they had tons of stuff stuck in them.

10. Kevina

Kevina Member

Hi, The hairs are part of the plant, the hairs are what they use to extract vital nutrients from the water. any fish that likes vegatable matter will certainly eat these hairs away as SAE's did on mine. The plants will live after hairs have been eaten but will not thrive to their true potential.

11. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    They will take as much light as you can find, any damage is likely to be heat related. Yes definitely root hairs, for the reason mentioned, something that was well known, but only demonstrated scientifically relatively recently actually using Limnobium:
    Gilroy, S. & Jones, D. (2000)
    "Through form to function: root hair development and nutrient uptake "
    Trends in Plant Science 5:2 pp 56-60
    Here's their "Limnobium" root hair figure:
    limnobiumroothair.gif
    We have used Lemna in the past to measure their response to the level of nutrients in the water column (from the "The Charms of Duckweed" http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm, but I've found that both Nile Cabbage (Pistia) and Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium) shows a similar, but much more impressive, response to the level of nutrients in the water column, with low nutrient levels producing relatively smaller leaf rosettes, but fantastic large and "frilly" roots.

cheers Darrel

12. the fife flyer

Ah well.....it seems mines are lacking in nutrients as the the roots are very hairy.

Apologies to the OP for hi-jacking the thread. :oops: