• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting, estimating possible?

AlanRR

Hi

I am wanting to set up my first planted tank in an Interpet Insight 64 l aquarium. This tank has a lid with a single strip LED in it. This can easily be replaced with a double or triple strip. Each strip has 12 LEDs in it which run at 0.2 watts each (2.4 watts for the strip). Is there any way to estimate the light output? I do have a lux meter but not a PAR meter.

I am wanting to set up a temperate, low tech (no co2) tank so know I don’t need a lot of light but an still concerned the above will be insufficient.

Thanks for any advice

Alan

There's a calculator over on Rotala Butterfly you can use to get a good guesstimate if you can identify the type of LED. Good tool for exploring various light levels and height above substrate.

rotalabutterfly.com/light-calculator

Don't know which type LEDs these are (and if the calculator has that type in the dropdown list), but since you have a LUX meter then you should be able to cobble some sensible data together from a good reading by comparing a guesstimate calculation (either using Cree or EcoSmart as the LED parameter) with an actual measurement. I'm being optimistic by saying the Cree as its near 4x the output of EcoSmart according to the calculator.

:)

Thanks X3NiTH,

I had a play with the calc and the lux values seem to be higher than I am reading with my meter. I guess all I can really do is give the light a go and see how the plants respond.

Cheers

Alan

Match the LUX output of the calculator to that of the meter by adjusting the wattage value input, this should give you reasonably accurate PAR data irrespective of inputting the correct LED type, you can then adjust the other parameters.

Assembled dimensions
(HxWxD) cm 44 x 62 x 32

Given the 44cm water column height, look for high intensity 0.2/0.3 watt LED (or 0.5watt LED) - adding a single strip if these will be more effective at delivering substrate PAR than multiple strips of “standard” LED

Generally, cheaper LED strips will use the cheapest components re drivers and LED

Contact manufacturer for LED specifications - if they don’t know, you can assume they likely use whatever cheapest components are available at time of manufacture (so driver/LED etc are unspecified but meet minimum guidelines)

Any of the plastic encased LED strips, eg Fluval Flex, will deliver lower PAR than similar LED in unit such as Fluval Spec light

AIO systems with in hood LED tend to use lower watt/intensity LED re heat dissipation

These systems can usually grow decent plants but care needs to be taken with selected species, optimizing growth conditions re nutrients, CO2 etc

I‘ve given that a go and as you mention, changing the led type causes almost a 4 fold change in par from about 15 to 50.

I have this tank and have replaced the single strip led unit with a double strip and am growing low tech plants just fine. I had cyano bacteria when running three strips (the original single strip plus the double strip).

I have this tank and have replaced the single strip led unit with a double strip and am growing low tech plants just fine. I had cyano bacteria when running three strips (the original single strip plus the double strip).

Thanks Matt,

I‘ve bought the double as well (and also left the original single in) so will see how I get on

Cheers

Alan

Back