• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for Ludwigia Repens Rubin

Keilso

Seedling
Hi, Currently awaiting and planning my first aquarium.

One of the plants I would like to plant is the Ludwigia Repens Rubin but seems to require moderate to high light.

My lights will be the Oase highline classic LED daylight 120 kit (From Oase: Lamp power consumption 28W, Number of individual LEDs - 90 units, 6500 Kelvins.

Would this lighting be suitable or am I wasting my time attempting to plant the Ludwigia reopens rubin.

If the Ludwigia reopens rubin is not suitable for my lights, is there another suitable REDDISH plant.

Thanks

How did you get on with the lights? Reason I'm asking, I've just setup a highline 400 and have the same lights. I have crypts, java fern, becephalandra and Anubias.

I have it growing in a 30 litre low tech tank where I use a Aquael Leddy plants light. It grows steadily and healthy. I have a dirted bottom and I attribute the beautiful growth to this. I also have never noticed any aerial roots growing on the stems.

I have medium light and my Ludwigia repens are thriving but the Rubin I used to have did not make it. So the Rubin variety is more demanding even though both are of the same species. Another red variety of choice is Ludwigia palustrous super red, and like any red plant, it requires more light. Do you know how much PAR do you have.

I had ludwigia"red diamond"under a twinstar 900s at 25%
Cuttings thrive,but new shoots take a while to get going.
Recently increased to 30%

Hi, Currently awaiting and planning my first aquarium.

One of the plants I would like to plant is the Ludwigia Repens Rubin but seems to require moderate to high light.

My lights will be the Oase highline classic LED daylight 120 kit (From Oase: Lamp power consumption 28W, Number of individual LEDs - 90 units, 6500 Kelvins.

Would this lighting be suitable or am I wasting my time attempting to plant the Ludwigia reopens rubin.

If the Ludwigia reopens rubin is not suitable for my lights, is there another suitable REDDISH plant.

Thanks
I'm a bit late to the party so forgive me. In my experience this is not true. Plants need to have a balance of light CO2 and ferts and as long as these are in balance, you can grow MOST plants.

The last time I grew Ludwigia underwater was back in 2012 ish, and my setup was simple, it was an old fluval Roma with two fluorescent T8 tubes, which is very weak lighting compared to even the bottom end LEDs these days, no c02 and sporadic ferts. In this same aquarium, I had Ludwigia repens Rubin or Ludwigia glandulosa-I do not remember which one it was, Ludwigia arcuata(Considered a hard plant to grow), Limnophila Aromatica, tiger lotus and Proserpinaca palustris(another "hard to grow"). I had many more plants than this but these were the ones that I should not have been able to grow had I listened to everyone. I will add they grow differently and not necessarily to their full colour, growth rate or density as intense light, but they grew decently for me.

As long as it doesn't cost you too much money, try everything at least one.

I for one have never ever been able to grow vallisneria of any species, and they are considered very easy.

Can supply photos if anyone doesn't believe me, its just a faff to "fish" them out

Back