• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for non co2 tank

billy boy

I am in the middle of setting up a 4 foot, non co2 tank which i am going to use a 4 foot t5 luminaire which has 3 54watt tubes, would i be able to use the 3 tubes or would i be safer just to use 2?
the tube's i will be useing are 2 Osram Lumilux 880 and one Sylvania Grolux, oh and the tank is 19 inch deep.
As for ferts, i was planning to use PMDD+PO4

cheers billy boy

patience doesn't cost anything billy.

18 minutes isn't a long time to wait on forums which is how long you took to reply to your own question.

I would suggest (but others may disagree) to go absolutely no higher than 1WPG with T5 lighting on a non CO2 tank!!!

And it is no good people asking how much light over a 4ft tank. We need the volume not the measurement there are many different dimensions for a tank and some 4fts are 1ft tall whereas others are 2ft. some are 1ft depth and others 2ft. literage or US gallons is always the best way.

Hence I cannot do a calculation of WPG that you actually have as I do not know your volume. If it is a 55USG then I would stay on 1 light, not 2 and definately not 3

AC

I take it back. you were patient. lol :oops:

Hope my answer apart from the moany bits helped.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
I take it back. you were patient. lol :oops:

Hope my answer apart from the moany bits helped.

AC

Thats ok lol, At least you took the time to reply :) I am starting to get the feeling that this forum is just for more techical question's and not dolly dimple ones that i need to ask.

Not to worry, there's always google :lol:

billy boy said:
Thats ok lol, At least you took the time to reply :) I am starting to get the feeling that this forum is just for more techical question's and not dolly dimple ones that i need to ask.

Nah, they're really good here Billy, I suspect like myself it's a busy time of the year for a lot of people.

But they've asnwered my dollie dimple questions a plenty in the past :D

I've got a 180l with 60w of T8 that is going OK (probably works out at 1.5 WPG) but is dosed with trace and the occasional TPN. With lower flow & no CO2 I do get small bursts of BBA but treat them locally with Excel.

As with Supercoley, I definitely wouldn't do 3 - I suspect you would be just asking for algae troubles.

Back