• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Formula

Thx for the reply, the reason for asking coincides with my other thread "Lighting issues". To add to both threads, the HC i added 2 weeks ago looks dormont, has gone dark green and looks poor, is wasn't until i reduced the depth of water on Saturday that it started to pearl, additional HC (New) added on Sunday tea time - still in their pots and they started pearling within 1 hour - difference in overall height of 1.5" approx.

Tank Dims: 39x18x15
Qty of water: 217ltr
GB gallons: 48.22
US gallons: 57.10
Current lighting 85 watts
WPG = 1.48.
E.I dosing as per article apart from an incease the powder in the trace mix details in other thread.

Option available using the attached short cut:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0134161055

If I use:-
2 x 39 = 78 watts which would give me 1.36 wpg "WORSE THAN I HAVE NOW"
3 x 39 = 117 watts which would give me 2.04 wpg "BETTER THAN I HAVE NOW" increase of 0.52 wpg.
4 x 39 = 256 watts which would give me 2.73 wgp "OVERKILL"

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards
Paul

hi paul,
with that luminaire it has two switch's,one each for two tube's.so you can only have 2x39 or 4x39.also i thought wpg was origanally worked out before t5's came on the scene(feel free to correct me if i'm wrong),and even though 2x39w is less than you have now t5's give out more light(again feel free to correct me)
neil

Neil

My intension would be to run the unit with three tubes on if I was to buy one, i am even considering jacking in as I cannot achieve my goal.

Regards
paul

N.B Keep you posted on outcome.

hi paul,
what i meant was each switch turns on two tubes.not sure if it will work if one tube is removed.don't jack it in yet,still early days :D .
neil

hi,
ok,just removed one tube and it works with three tubes.not sure if it is safe or not.
neil

nelson said:
hi,
ok,just removed one tube and it works with three tubes.not sure if it is safe or not.
neil

Neil

Tomorrow night when your in leave it on to see if your carpet plants start to pearl - should start within a hour or two - you will have to watch it.

Regards
Paul

hi paul,
will give it a go.it's just i read somewhere a while back that you shouldn't run just one tube on a twin ballast.don't know how true it is :? .doe's anyone know if it's ok :?: .
neil

Flyfisherman said:
nelson said:
hi,
neil

Neil

Tomorrow night when your in leave it on to see if your carpet plants start to pearl - should start within a hour or two - you will have to watch it.

Regards
Paul

hi paul,
had all 4 tubes on for 2 hours,one covered as james said so 3 tubes.hc and blyxa pearling slightly.will leave 3x39w for tomorrow to see.
neil

Back