• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting help on deep tank

Ruke

Hi I have a tank that’s a 168cm long, 81cm W, 78cm H
The tank has a one piece euro brace. The tank is likely to be low tech with possibly low dose Co2
A23CA160-45B2-4275-B5EA-49C6933D36AF.png

Decided I want LEDs thinking of

Fluval Plant 3.0 LED - Extendable range - 122-153 cm (48-60" Wattage - 59W Lumens - 4250lm Colour Temp. - 6500K

Will I need 2 of these? As I am looking for low to medium light but confused on water depth/ par

Open to other suggestions.

I would like kessil 360 suns but I would need 3 costing nearly a grand eek

Low tech would be achievable but high tech you will need a healthy budget just for lighting and as you may know lots more gadgets to run it all. Sadly it would be cheaper to buy a new tank.
Cheers

I wouldn’t set up that tank without the proper lighting and Co2. As wife would be upset with the result of fluval 3’s and no Co2 in her living room.

I am clearly biased towards Grobeams. 3 Grobeam 1500, each has a coverage of 60cm X 60cm.

3 Grobeams 600 could be added for additionnal coverage at front-rear, since the tank is 81 cm wide, or 3 Aquabeam 600 Marine White 14000K. They can be used as a compliment to the Grobeams 1500 if the tank is more than 22" high.

Assembled in UK, 5 years warranty, IP67, passively cooled.

Michel.

Well were to start.. 79 cm deep. Do some research on planted tanks that deep.. you won't find many and the ones you do find have well over a grand in lights alone. 81 wide that's as long as the average tank. I'm not saying don't,carnt, or stop. Just my 2 p, I have 60 cm deep tank and substrate is around 7cm, I'd say I'm just about there with my current setup light wise. Check out my journal. Hence cheaper to buy shallower tank with less power needed. How long are your arms

To add. if you know your goals with this particular size tank then that would help also, low or high tech theres nothing inbetween really, you say add a bit of co2. All or nothing with the co2.
Cheers

Maybe I was a bit quick to post about your lighting, is your tank only 1000L + - ?

Ok been doing some research and mind is a boggled haha.
Thanks for the advice.
Not going to buy a different tank I wanted a big tank and that’s what I’m getting.
So def low tech - no co2 with easy plants.
Wish I had longer arms but a face mask and snorkel will help haha.

Like the idea of TMC GroBeam

Or 2 Fluval plant 3

I can add more spot light in the future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow nice. plenty of light choice with your low tech idea.
Cheers

Last edited:
Fluva Plant 3.0 LED - Extendable range - 122-153 cm (48-60" Wattage - 59W Lumens - 4250lm Colour Temp. - 6500K

nIce on paper, and a decent light if tank height is under 45cm
BUT
59watts / 336 LED ~ 0.2 watt LEDs, even if Fluval splurged on the high intensity version, PAR at 78cm distance isn’t going to make even “low” light by planted aquarium standards
(also note that the actual LEDs only run 115cm or so in length)

OTOH if you plan a hardscape such as Jurijs & Florian’s scape from taotpa ;)

https://www.facebook.com/J.Jurijs/photos/a.258823010905528/2067255143395630/?type=3&theater

Juwel Lido 120 (58cm tall) - confirm lighting used with Juwel (I suspect twin HOT5 with reflectors)
BUT CO2 plus relatively low light makes for a much “happier” plant place than the same light sans CO2

Note the plant species used, also how much plant density is moved closer to light through use of the tall wood

Juwel presented a much more advanced plant scape at Interzoo 2018, again using a LIDO aquarium, with their new HeliaLux LED

Filipe Oliveira has several examples on his FB/Youtube Channel of 70-90cm tall Aquariums - lighting details are often listed or query answered in Comments

eg,
Aquaflora Canteen Aquarium
150 x 60 x 90cm (high)

Old T5 4x 54w that were replaced this year by AquaIllumination Freshwater Prime

Plus the million watts of flouresent lights in the canteen. The ai prime will cover 35cm x 35cm at best but will punch down 60cm in a low tech situation.

Alto his tank is 80 wide mate
Filipe Oliveira has several examples on his FB/Youtube Channel of 70-90cm tall Aquariums - lighting details are often listed or query answered in Comments
If I was oliviera I would..

Plus the million watts of flouresent lights in the canteen.
:confused: Why that assumption???
Tank is in the canteen not the nursery ;)
(sorry can’t find the video that shows more of the Canteen - pretty bog standard as I recall - with the exception of those fantastic altums)

As for the AI Primes being subpar (I’m certain these are the new HD’s), I guess we have different expectations of plant growth, I’d be pretty happy with that altum aquascape ... I suspect the altums are also satisfied with the lower light levels :D

Granted the AI Prime HDs are not in the same class as Kessil’s new A360X :wideyed: but then the price is rather more approachable

Re the 80cm width of the tank, add in a single row of HOT5 with proper reflectors, or rocky (sandy) beach zone at tank front (or upgrade to the Hydra HD’s ;))

Of course there’s always the DIY approach with various non-aquarium branded “spots”
(few examples on ukaps I believe)

Why that assumption???

I've never been there so my assumption is that the additional light from daily operations of the room weather it be a canteen hallway,reception. just saying. We don't have that.. or the minions to maintain at that depth. All shop lights work a treat set up correctly. I'm being realistic about the depth, plus the euro brace will cause slight headaches. it becomes a chore and like the op said snorkel and mask.
Alto
I know you know your onions,I'm not disagreeing with you. Theres so many choices with lighting it becomes a minefield of par, watts, lumens.

Low tech would be achievable but high tech you will need a healthy budget just for lighting and as you may know lots more gadgets to run it all.

Like I said even with low tech it will still cost a far bit when there so much more to it. The op eeked at a grand for lights,which tells me that's to much money, I'm sure theres many members on here that have 80cm deep tanks, let's wait for them to tell us there light budget and I mean in there front room with plants growing successfully.
Cheers

I run a Giesemann HQI ( 2 x 125W) and two T5 80W HO tubes with reflectors over my 1500 liter tank which has a glass height of 80 cm
I also use 2 TMC grobeam tiles as spotlighting.
hi
How wide is your tank?
The giesemann HQI are a really nice bit of kit.
Cheers

Last edited:
My most used tool on my 60cm deep tank.

Attachments

• 20190418_115640.jpg
    20190418_115640.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 260
Back