• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting help on deep tank

Hi been reading with interest and looking at lots of options.

The 3 x kessil suns 360x are starting to look the best option in light and looks. They are currently priced at 495 each so 1500 if I get 3.

I’m willing to spend the money but would like to reduce the risk of algae problems with high light/high tech.

Not sure on livestock yet but I like a shoal of small fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great looking puck light, I've read a little about them they seem to do the job well. you can also buy the controller x for controlling the output.Good investment.

Last edited:
Have a look at EcoTec radions fw, This was my first choice but a little steep, I will buy them next when I change or upgrade.

200x 80/120 x 80 cm.

What do you mean?

The tank used to have one on top as a marine set up
cc13f94b6d917037cfa109ee048edc19.jpg

My tank is 76cm deep (198 L x 60W). It is still a work in progress but I am growing plants successfully with two rows of fluval 3.00 Plant, with Co2 and feeding three times a week with TNC complete. My 'carpet' plant is cryptocoryne which is about 15cms tall. I have tried and failed to grow anything that requires high lighting but Ludwigia repens 'Rubin' is thriving. The plants would probably do better if I didn't have seven clown loaches continually digging them up!

Maxspect Recurve R6-120 LED
Maxspect builds gorgeous reef lights (their foray into freshwater ended rather quickly)
With adjustable spectrum you can generally select more suitable freshwater plant lighting but often at significant loss of lumens (eg, one light designed for reef but also marketed for freshwater application, used ~ 30% of available wattage for the latter)

The Recurve was discontinued early this year with US reef shops clearing them out at 50% discount, so look for similar price reductions

This intro video shows the puck distribution and strip LED

EcoTec radions fw,
You’ll find some ukaps journals with these lights, but also owners swapping them out for different lighting

The software (control) issues are significant (though perhaps this has finally been redesigned)

Also unless new driver technology has been implemented, spectrum changes with intensity

It looks to be a gorgeous light but I’d want more details on the specs AND some display tanks (garnelen haus has a short video but plants are still in emerse state and all “easy” plants, the light app effects are nicely shown)

- from 1 site, LEDs are done with 90 and 120 degree lens - which is which?

Given the back to front measurement of your tank, and this unit only being 20cm wide, where is the light going to fall, and how concentrated is that light directly below the unit vs at the outer edges?

Arcadia should have PAR etc measurements of the light distribution curves
How does this change with selected spectrum?
How does this change with selected intensity?

(Kessil A360X attempts to deliver more even distribution of the light fall over the “recommended” 60x60cm area)

I’m asssuming you’re intending to suspend the light (as seen in the video)

ETA I wouldn’t mix this with a Fluval 3.0

It looks to be a gorgeous light but I’d want more details on the specs AND some display tanks (garnelen haus has a short video but plants are still in emerse state and all “easy” plants, the light app effects are nicely shown)

- from 1 site, LEDs are done with 90 and 120 degree lens - which is which?

Given the back to front measurement of your tank, and this unit only being 20cm wide, where is the light going to fall, and how concentrated is that light directly below the unit vs at the outer edges?

Arcadia should have PAR etc measurements of the light distribution curves
How does this change with selected spectrum?
How does this change with selected intensity?

(Kessil A360X attempts to deliver more even distribution of the light fall over the “recommended” 60x60cm area)

I’m asssuming you’re intending to suspend the light (as seen in the video)

Thanks for 4 the advice

Interested in this as well.
Ive a new 90 x 26 x 30 deep tank arriving.
Looking to have some low light plants (anubis and moss) around the middle of bottom. Ie. Some large pieces of bogwood / stone with low light plants on them.
Im torn between 4 x fluval 3.0s (46w) or 4 x 1500 ultra grobeams.
I'll be auto dosing ferts.
Ot a tank that ever going to have high light plants in it. Just some easy beginner plants.
Anyone using grobeams or fluval 3.0s in mutiples in a tank this deep?
Id be interested in your experiences.

How about ADA Solar RGB? Ada have them over 60 cm aquariums growing tight carpets, and some distance from the water line. Not cheap though

They are indeed not cheap but then i guess it is what it is at 30" deep.
My local maidenhead aquatics has a very knowledgeable chap there and he is going to call Hagen to get some advice from their technical team.
Ive also been looking at the AI Prime HD which claims a PAR of 100 @24 inches.
Its got 80 deg lens which will help but being new to this... im unsure if they'll be sufficient with just 4 of them.

Back