• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting on a 5ft tank

Voo

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a new tank and just trying to weigh up the lighting possibilities.

Looking to get a 5ft tank, comes with 4x 36W T8. Now, on larger tanks they say the wpg rule doesn't work so well. So i'm wondering just how good this is. I'm not wanting any carpeting plants, but maybe some slightly demanding stems. Limnophila Aromatica perhaps. Also thinking about the brightness of T8's, now that im used to T5's on my smaller tanks.

Further along the line i might upgrade - would 2x 54W T5 be enough? I might prefer 4x 39W T5 actually.

Thanks!

Just curious. is it possible to use a normal T5 batten fixture to light a tank ? Other than the caps on the ends of the tubes, I dont think there is any other difference between normal and aquarium fittings is there ? It is easy enough to seal up and protect the socket ends. Any thoughts on this ?

Hi,
You can use whatever you want but the problem of course as you quite rightly point out, is moisture ingress into the connector. If you have a method of sealing the connector properly you'll avoid short circuiting the connector or of corroding the pins. So once you've licked this problem your home free. :clap:

Cheers,

Umm, not really sure mate. It seems like if applied judiciously it ought to do the trick but I'm not sure how blu tack responds to heat. Those terminals (as well as the bulb surface) get fairly hot on a T5. Worth a try I suppose...

Cheers,

Thanks Sam, i'll try the T8's for a bit, see what they're like. Just have to hope they are 36W each :)

Mortis - what about using some kind of sealant / mastic around the end of the tube to seal it to the fixing. When it needs replacing it can be cut to free the tube. Again, not sure about the heat though.

I guess silicone sealant could work. Once it is dry, it doesnt burn that easy. Should be fine, I doubt the contact points get hotter than 80-90 C

Nah, silicone sealant doesnt usually smell once it is dry. I had some silicone left over from some window waterproofing work I did yesterday. Ive made a blob out of it which Ill put in the oven for a bit once it dries just to see what happens !!

Back