Lighting options for a 6ft tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Marc Jackson, 17 Mar 2019 at 11:42 AM.

1. Marc Jackson

Marc Jackson Newly Registered

Hi, can any of you experts suggest some lighting options for a 72"x24"x18" tank. I will be buying a tank, cabinet and hood from ND Aquatics:

[​IMG]

Intended plants:

Echinodorus Ozelot (red)
    Echinodorus Reni
    Hygrophila Difformis
    Cryptocoryne Wendtii (green)
    Staurogyne Repens
    Taxiphyllum Barbieri (Java moss)
    Cryptocoryne Balansae

2. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

Got my tank from ND Aquatics, I went for the Scandinavian Style which allows you to have the hood on but the top off, never have the top on TBH. Lighting can be tricky depending on your budget OFC I spend over £1000 on my lights. You planning High or low tech.

3. Marc Jackson

From price mentioned....bankrupt tech!

4. Marc Jackson

In all seriousness I was thinking of using T5 tubes, perhaps one or two 54W tubes and reflectors running along the rear of the hood. Then two small T5 tubes on each front flap. The cabling could be protected with some sort of conduit/trunking.

5. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

T5's would be the cheapest option, I even have 6x24Watt ones on mine, easy to mount in the hood. Only problem is when the hood is off for maintenance which will be a lot more in a high tech tank than a low tech tank which is more than in a fish only tank.
    When hood is off no light on tank so it can be tricky to do the maintenance without light on the tank. Hence the reason why open top tanks are so popular in high tank setups as you can easly just pop you arm in the tank daily and do a bit. My arm is in my tank most nights 30 - 60mins.

Once you have decided on which route this will effect the lights you can go for plus which filter as high tech tanks need more tank turnover. The advised filter output for high tech is x10 the volume of tank - so 50l tank needs filter with output of 500LPH.

shouldn't need any protection as the cables will/should be fully water proof. Had my one T5 tube in the tank water just the other week :rolleyes: by accident OFC

dw1305 likes this.
  6. Marc Jackson

Hi Zeus, I had a look at your thread detailing your 5ft tank, to say that I was blown away would be a major understatement. It both inspired and knocked the confidence out of me at the same time if that makes sense. I am now reviewing the situation as to high or low tech etc:

Zeus. likes this.
  7. micheljq

micheljq Member

3 Grobeam 1500, they can be fitted into a canopy, they have moisture resistance, and are passively cooled (no fans).

Michel.

8. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

Thanks for your Kind words :thumbup:. Taking on a big high tech planted tank is a major undertaking esp with limited experience, I was Lucky as a got great advise plus was willing to do lots of reading and could afford the project. There is so many things to consider and work out the best route to suit your pocket. Plus so many opinions. Then theres 'Lady Luck' ie what your tapwater is like.

Good luck and ask lots of questions ;)

Tim Harrison likes this.
  9. ian_m

ian_m Global Moderator Staff Member

10. Marc Jackson

Zeus. likes this.
  11. ian_m

ian_m Global Moderator Staff Member

I would agree. Their "tropical" tube was too red/pink for my liking, so I swapped two tubes for two Juwel Hi-Lite tubes.

Below is my 4 T5 iQuatics fixture with 3 off iQuatics supplied tubes and one Juwel Hi-Lite. Two of the T5 tubes are over 4 years old (2nd & 4th ones up), bottom one is brand new. Quality T5 tubes, will generally past 5 years odd before brightness drops to 80% odd. This picture is very misleading as it is very very difficult to photograph as tubes are so bright and generally saturates the photo. To your eyes all tubes look the same brightness.
    upload_2019-3-19_8-54-35.png

Marc Jackson and Edvet like this.
  12. Marc Jackson

I've emailed them as they have various different options and even custom created ones. The other thought is securing both front hinged flaps from the underside to enable them to work as one.

13. Marc Jackson

Will three 80w (240w total) be enough light?

14. Siege

Siege Member

Don’t forget any light you fix to the opening part of the hood is going to blind you the second you lift up the flap.

You can rest T5 tubes with reflectors on the glass if that helps. Just make sure they rest on the glass brace supports.

Ps, I donot know what you want to achieve but an open top braceless tank is much easier to work with so consider that when choosing your tank.

Also donot expect neat minimal silicone work from Nd Aquatics (think drunk bloke putting it on with a trowel at 4pm on a Friday afternoon!).

Marc Jackson likes this.
  15. alto

alto Member

:lol:

16. Marc Jackson

The iQuatics controller has three 80w T5 tubes; two tubes can be switched off together or just one on its own or all together.

Forgot to say about the open top idea. I would but would worry about any airborne contaminants from getting in, even with cover glass. Air fresheners etc.

17. Zeus.

Zeus. Member

Not had issue with my open hood with glass covers. But don't allow air fresheners in the room.
    Son was saying there can be an issue with air fresheners and planted/fish tanks!

18. Siege

Siege Member

i went with the same 6’ Nd Aquatics tank that you are looking at. Only lasted a year before I changed to an top tank.
    An expensive error....

If you are keen on aquascaping, whilst keeping on budget, go smaller, no problem. Will also be cheaper on planting it etc.

Have a look at the EA Aquascaper 1200 (4’) and Twinstar light. A lot of tank for your money and will reduce hardscape and planting cost. Whilst being significantly moe fiun to scape and manage,

19. Marc Jackson

6ft for the fish. :happy: