• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting options for Rio 180

tko187

Hi guys i have a rio 180, and am thinking of upgrading the lighting on this tank. I have the t5 units on this with reflectors, does anyone know how much these lights produce per tank volume and if it is sufficient enough to grow HC or do i upgrade? I want to possibly add a light that hangs from the ceiling so to say the tank is no longer covered, any help appreciated.

Thanks for the link Ld, do you have any experience with these? Are they better than the juwel lighting on the 180? and can i grow HC with these as i think my lights just now aint gonna cut it!! Thanks for the help, not sure if i should order from these guys or not??

tko187 said:
Thanks for the link Ld, do you have any experience with these? Are they better than the juwel lighting on the 180? and can i grow HC with these as i think my lights just now aint gonna cut it!! Thanks for the help, not sure if i should order from these guys or not??
I have two lumminaires from these guys, they are good quality, great service also. Easy to repair also if a ballast fails (if under warranty they will ship you one for free).

HC doesn't only depend on lighting, I can't tell you if you can grow HC or not, I have 6x24W and I can't grow HC, but its not the lighting, its other parameters I am sure like CO2.

You can also just buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hagen-GLO-T5-HO-T ... 3caa58b2fc

And add a couple of tubes to the Juwel plastic flaps.

Hi all
LondonDragon said:
I can't tell you if you can grow HC or not,
I can :D .
You can certainly grow HC with the Juwel T5HO lighting on a Rio 180. I had it in my previous set up.
LondonDragon said:
but its not the lighting, its other parameters I am sure like CO2.
Most definitely agree with this.
Your biggest battle will be getting your CO2 down to the bottom of the tank in sufficient quantity.
When you do, your HC will pearl like crazy. The lighting is already sufficient enough.

Tis true, Ive seen it with my own eyes. Ceejay has lovely pearling HC :(

Im jealous...

Back