• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting options

John Starkey

Hi all,i am in the planing stage for my next setup 80x40x40 opti-white,i can,t decide what lighting to go for,i have looked at the arcadia luminaire,s,the new led tiles i think i will wait until they have been out longer and more people are using them,i am considering the ADA solar II,it has two 36watt tubes in,i would like to grow HC at some stage as i have never tried to grow it yet,would that wattage be enough light to grow HC ?,i don,t really want to go to MH lights because of cost,

john.

Why not Join the LED revolution? Its the way forward I know your Waiting, but you can buy them now and even in 10 years they will still be just as good ;) Their High PAR output is great for carpets, Ive never had a problem growing them in any tall tank. (Based on my experience with HC and Glosso in a 20" High, Also now growing E.Parva and L. Brazili with great success)

I'm using 6x Grobeams on an 8 channel controller, Its great not having to worry about the bulbs becoming "cack".

Join the Revolution
Viva le LED!

I guess one reason not to go down the LED route is the cost! :wideyed:
No denying they are cool but 2 x T5 can cost as little £40 if you can DIY them into a lid.
I bought the first growbeam sold (I was on a waiting list for 3 months before they came out) unfortunately it lasted 12 months & stopped working!
I now have 2 x T5 & a single "new" growbeam that is about 12 months old!
I quite like the combination of the two different lights but I only use the LED for a few hours a day because the T5s seem more than sufficient to grow anything I want.
Of course if you have a grand to throw at some LEDs then thats great :D

He is considering ADA solar which is more expensive than LED so money is not issues it seems :)

Agreed Radik,

I think its a bit sad to rule them out, the High Par, Great Wavelength for plant Photosynthesis and the ability to control just how much light you want with a controller. Too much? turn it down to 50%! Too little? Crank it up to 100%!

I'm an LED junkie now thought, Wouldn't go back to standard lighting :/

Hey John. How about something like the Giesmann Infinity halide/T5 combo? As I was saying earlier, you could run it on the T5's, with the halides as a "mid-day burst". They do a 1x150w MH and 4x24w T5 unit which is 60cm long. It could work?

I'm sure there are other manufacturers out there that make similar units :)

Back