• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Options

cookie3985

Hi All,

I have ordered everything for my 90x45x45 optiwhite except the lights. I will be running a high tec setup which will have the works on it CO2 etc but cannot decide what lighting to go for.

I know this is completely dependent on individual preference but I would like to hear what some of you would recommend through your own experiences. Obviously there are the new more fashionable LED's but these can be very expensive when compared to their T5 cousins. My budget is around 200 with the possibilty of going higher (would prefer not to).

I have seen the old school T5 luminaire from APS anyone any experience with this? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

I use the aps luminare above my 3ft at the moment, took me a year to figure out cheap doesn't mean weak when it comes to t5s. .
Yes I have been thinking the same thing tim but I do like the look of some of the new LED's available but they all seem stupidly expensive and mostly designed for marine setups.

Does anyone use any effective LED lights that are reasonably priced?

Last edited:
Have you seen the arcadia stretch led? If you shop around you would be able to pick up 2 of the cs90f units and still have change. Im using the 60cm unit and am very happy with it and I find its colour rendition very good as it uses a blend of different colour temp leds and the greens look good and the reds really pop. I also use a t5 unit over my 120cm tank and have no complaints there either.

I am glad you have asked this question as I have the same . As I am a avid life long coral fanatic I am thinking of using my old led unit on the white channel only to see what happens. I will set the intensity with a par meter so hopefully will be ok. I believe plants are far less fussy than coral on a light spectrum factor so I think as long as the par figure is achieved it should be fine. The only downside is that in the past I have use dennerle trocal t8 s and I had huge success with them , I loved the very low kelvin they produced which isn't anywhere near the led fixture. Please correct me if I am wrong but most led units ate designed with either 60 or 90 degree lenses meaning they give a very narrow and extremely intense beam unless mounted high enough can cause quite extensive burn to whatever is underneath . But moving eg the plant or light slightly away from the beam and the light drops drasticaley. If I could get a very attractive 2 x24 watt t5 unit I think I'll stay with that. Any ideas ?

I am glad you have asked this question as I have the same . As I am a avid life long coral fanatic I am thinking of using my old led unit on the white channel only to see what happens. I will set the intensity with a par meter so hopefully will be ok. I believe plants are far less fussy than coral on a light spectrum factor so I think as long as the par figure is achieved it should be fine. The only downside is that in the past I have use dennerle trocal t8 s and I had huge success with them , I loved the very low kelvin they produced which isn't anywhere near the led fixture. Please correct me if I am wrong but most led units ate designed with either 60 or 90 degree lenses meaning they give a very narrow and extremely intense beam unless mounted high enough can cause quite extensive burn to whatever is underneath . But moving eg the plant or light slightly away from the beam and the light drops drasticaley. If I could get a very attractive 2 x24 watt t5 unit I think I'll stay with that. Any ideas ?
Youre correct about spectrum and with a par meter youre leaps ahead just keep lifting the unit till the par is low enough and I dont think the optics will matter at that point because your unit will more than likely be high enough to give good coverage.

I was told around 30 par on the sand is fine , compared to around 400 I am used to no dought the light should do the job.
Cheers

Thanks Ollie. Loking at those Arcadia LED's now and they look pretty decent. I think I may need 3 on a 90 cm though or do you think 2 would be plenty?

Ok I'll go for 2. This is why I like this forum so much :) Very helpful people who are happy to give advice.

Back