• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting question

ForestDave

Hi.
I have a Roma 200L tank with 4x 39w T5 tubes. I had most plants in the tank without a substrate for a month and then It was fully scaped and planted a week ago. I re-scaped yesterday as there were some major issues that weren't working with my last week's effort. I'm running all four tubes without the reflectors at the moment to keep the light low while the plants matures. I just wondered, is this too low a light level and also I am planting some Glossostigma elatinoides in the foreground today which is a high light loving plant so would it be a good idea to stick a reflector on the front tube? I was thinking all the low foreground plants might like a bit more light to penetrate through the 45cm of water?
Thanks
Dave

What are the issues you're having?

Also are you running CO2? I ask because I used to own the Roma 200 and the amount of lighting you have seems overkill if you're not running CO2. Even without, still sounds like too much. To put it into perspective, I'm using 2 X 54w T5 (no reflectors) over my 350L Rio and it's plenty. I'm running without CO2 though.

Hi.
Yep sorry should have mentioned that I use CO2.
No major issues yet I just wondered as I’d read Glosso was hard to grow and liked a lot of light.
Currently running the 4 tubes for 5hrs with lime green d/c and EI fertz.
Thanks

Four tubes is a lot, I would switch to two for 7 hours a day and when the plants have grown and increased the mass then consider using all four.
Ultimately it should be possible to use all four with reflectors but you need a spot on set up!

Back