• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Schedule, need help!

IndyM

Hey guys, I need help with lighting my 200L tank, 100cm wide, 45 cm deep, 50cm high, fully planted with c02, hitting the required green in the drop checker.

Currently, I am using Fluval 3.0 46W lighting and have it set to the default "pro" schedule" you can see how long it is on for, what colours are on. I have attached the image below.

BiunXrN.jpg

Can someone please suggest any changes? or are these setting ok? Be specific if possible, what time on, what time off. Intensity? etc.

in regards to the C02, when should that come on and off?

I've also attached an image of the tank, its been on for about 5 days now. The left side is pending a tree-style fixture which will have more stem plants behind it, so please ignore the left bareness for now. But you get the idea.

a3ev1Cc.jpg

Here's a video I uploaded to YouTube giving my non-aquarist friend a little tour, so pardon the dumbing down of information for his sake.

Plant species wise, I have the following:
  • Blyxa Japonica
  • Hygrophila Polysperma
  • Ludwigia Arcuata
  • Micranthemum Micranthemoides
  • Rotala macrandra green
  • Rotala Indica
  • Cryptocoryne albida Brown
  • Cryptocoryne Petchii
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
  • Marsilea Crenata
  • Eleocharis Acicularis
  • Bolbitis heudelotii
  • Microsorum pteropus Trident
  • Taxiphyllum Barbieri
the plants are planted in ADA Amazonia with Power Sand base, I dose daily with ADA Green Brighty Mineral and Neutral K.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Never used that light before, however do you have a 12hr photoperiod with a reduction in the middle?
If so too long by 6hrs and no reduction in middle of it.
CO2 on should be 2-3hrs before lights, dependant on your CO2 profile, have you done a pH profile.
CO2 off is normally 4-5hours after lights on.
ADA feets are the most expensive feets you can get and plants don't care about brands, so some DIY feets will save you lots

I just need a straight forward answer if possible.

What time on, what time off.
What time C02 on, what time c02 off.

:banghead:

Depends what time you want the lights to come on and go off for maximum viewing time.

For instance my set up is:
C02 ON - 12.00PM
LIGHTS ON - 3.00PM
RAMP UP - 30MIN
C02 OFF - 9.00PM
RAMP DOWN - 30MIN
LIGHTS OFF 10.00PM

Depends what time you want the lights to come on and go off for maximum viewing time.

For instance my set up is:
C02 ON - 12.00PM
LIGHTS ON - 3.00PM
RAMP UP - 30MIN
C02 OFF - 9.00PM
RAMP DOWN - 30MIN
LIGHTS OFF 10.00PM
Thank you, Sammy, yet again, you've answered a question for me! So your lights are on for 10 Hours, cool.

My timings are the same as Sammy's but an hour difference.......

C02 on at 11:30
Lights on at 14:00 with 30 min ramp up
Lights on max intensity at 14:30
C02 off at 21:00
Lights ramp down at 21:30
Lights fully off at 22:00

Lights fully on for 7 hours a day
C02 on for 9.5 hours a day

I just need a straight forward answer if possible.

What time on, what time off.
What time C02 on, what time c02 off.

:banghead:

Regarding lights IMHO you can do whatever you want between 8 and 12 hours within the plants' compensation point.
It's trial and error to find the best schedule for your setup regarding duration and intensity. If you run into issues, too much or too little, you either go down or up in intensity or in duration. There is no rule of thumb in this like a one size fits all.

CO² on depends on how fast is CO² saturation up to maximum. In general consensus, it's best to already have a green drop checker at the moment the lights come on. Depending on the CO² distribution this can be achieved within the hour. Meaning starts adding CO² an hour earlier before lights come on. If it takes longer than an hour obviously start even sooner.

Also here is actually no rule of thumb especially not for larger aquariums. Some people have a very good or even better experience with leaving the CO² on for 24/7 but with less than the generally admired 30ppm, but go 15ppm instead for 24 hours and never shut it down.

30ppm is an approach aimed toward maximum CO² safe for your livestock. But depending on the plants it is not an absolute must-have.

Thus for so far, the straight forward answer is: There is no... :) The whole complex is far too dynamic with a number of factors involved. Even some numbers still beyond our comprehension and you need to tune it and act according to experience. No 2 aquariums are the same...

There is a rough guideline for dummies "How to set up CO²", but if that doesn't work out as expected then it is rather difficult to answer this virtually from a distance with a straight foreward answer. :)

Back