• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Schedule, plan, time settings wanted

julioarca

Seedling
I have upgraded my Juwel and wonder if someone can suggest a lighting schedule. I read on some forum a schedule but cannot find this anywhere. I have the 2x 30w T8 tubes in the centre on a timer.

PMDD dosing and diy c02

I have a T8 30w tube on the rear hood on a timer

I have a T5 39w tube on the front hood on a timer

Do I simply run all thelights for 10 hrs or have some on and off or what for best results and little algae.

David

Hi,
DIY CO2 always has difficulty getting good saturation so I would start the photoperiod with the lower intensity T8 for the first 4 hours or so and then add the T5 for a few hours. Later on you can extend the duration of the T5 as you see what effect it has on growth or algae. This kind of schedule gives you time to see trouble coming and to take appropriate action.

Cheers,

would that be the T8 single or double bank and for approx how long to be on for?

I reckon you can start with the single bulb and work your way up. It's hard to say what type of duration because every tank is different and no one knows exactly how your CO2 rig performs. It's not even clear what the tank size is so it's basically guesswork. The single for the first hour or two, then the double for a few hours and then the T5 is a logical way to start.

Cheers,

The tank is a Juwel 180

I have devised the following

Rear T8 on from 12.00 - 22.30

Centre x2 T8 from 13.00 - 22.00

Front T5 from 14.00 - 18.00

PMDD

Diy Co2....but have an air pump also onto the internal Juwel venturi and it kicks on from 22.15 - 10.15, I have to do this else the fish are gasping of a morning.

My tank is heavily planted, amazon swords, giant vallis, riccia, crypts and more.....I noticed today the vallis under the T5 was bubbling....is this good?

David

Hi David,
Yes this sounds like a pretty good plan. Start with that and make adjustments as you go. If you start to see CO2 related algae such as hair or staghorn then lower the duration of the brighter elements.

The bubbling is referred to as "pearling" and it's always a good sign. These are oxygen bubbles generated by photosynthesis.

Cheers,

Cheers for the replies..

I have never seen pearling before so its quite exciting to know thats what the bubbles are.

Thanks again

Tank £100
Stand £80
Hood £50
Lighting £80
Filter £120
In-line heater £40
Substrate £100
Plants £50
CO2 equipment £90

Watching your plants pearl... Priceless :D

Got a real sense of accomplishment when My plants first pearled. Only ever saw it in Nature Aquarium books :)

Back