• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting schedule

fishkeeper

what is the dseired lighting photoperiod time for planted aquariums? im using the juwel hi lite uni and i dont know.
ive jsut bought a timer after not being able to get one and having my lighting on for 13 hours per day, waaay too much i know so now i can put this right. As im at school, i was maybe thinking of 7-10am then 3-9 pm?

please help

Thanks

Will

Ideally you want about 8-10 hours and I think it's much better to have that in one photoperiod with the CO2 coming on an hour or so before lights on and going off an hour before light out.

If you want to see your fish before the proper photoperiod and the room light isn't enough then I'd think about fitting a dusk and dawn light that is timed to come on before the proper lights and go off half an hour or so afterwards. I've got a little pygmy domestic compact fluorescent light on my tank as the dusk and dawn periods help breeding cichlids to get their babies safely 'tucked in' before the tank goes completely dark.

BTW IME fish will feed in room light conditions so there's no problem if you want to feed them before you go to school and the light isn't on.

Back