• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Times

ray copeland

Hi all i have just noticed a blob of green alage in my tank im asuming its due to me having my my light on too long around 12hrs + i know i happen to put on and come home late having them on too long what is the time my lights should be on for at max? is it 8-6hrs? thanks in advnace

A bit more info would be useful.
What lights?
What tank?
reflectors?
Co2 added or low tech?
Floating plants?
12 hours tends to be too long for most scenarios (not all)
Most of my tanks,1 high tech ,1 low tend to run at 8 hrs

A bit more info would be useful.
What lights?
What tank?
reflectors?
Co2 added or low tech?
Floating plants?
12 hours tends to be too long for most scenarios (not all)
Most of my tanks,1 high tech ,1 low tend to run at 8 hrs
Sorry
T5 lights no reflectors
Co2 yes

Tank 120l Jewel no floating plants.

Thanks

No worries just my opinion.
How long's the tank been running,and how are the plants doing?

Would agree 8 hours should be plenty as T5's do tend to give off a lot of light. I have plants in a Juwel Lido 120 and have grown most plants successfully. If your CO2 and ferts are right then you should get lots of healthy growth.
In the past I have used Easy Lifes Alg-Exit for a short time to reduce the algae quickly and help the plants recover a bit and it worked really well. It can also be used with shrimps, I have Amanno's in my tank and they were not at all affected.

Would agree 8 hours should be plenty as T5's do tend to give off a lot of light. I have plants in a Juwel Lido 120 and have grown most plants successfully. If your CO2 and ferts are right then you should get lots of healthy growth.
In the past I have used Easy Lifes Alg-Exit for a short time to reduce the algae quickly and help the plants recover a bit and it worked really well. It can also be used with shrimps, I have Amanno's in my tank and they were not at all affected.
Thanks

Back