Lighting times

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Liam1, 21 May 2009.

1. Liam1

Liam1 Newly Registered

My tank has been up and running for about 9 days and have the lights on for 10 hours, is that too long? should i drop it down to 8 hours. evreything seems ok. its relatively low light @ about 1.4 wpg.
    heavily planted about 80% coverage
    300l tank
    3 x 38w T8

Regards
    Liam

2. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

probably someone with more knowledg than me will be along in a bit but from what Ive read its best to start off lower then build it up, only thing is im not sure if this applies to low light tanks?

I started my 60cm that im working on at the moment on 5 hrs and have moved it up to 7 once a couple of algae problems were sorted.

3. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

hi,
    i would think that may be a little long to start with, but if you are getting no algae problems, brown diatoms being the most likely in a fresh start up then stick with it!

i recently started a new tank and it appeared fine for first couple of wks @8 hours (1.7 w/g (were t5 tho))
    after algae started i lowered to 6 hours for a few weeks until it all settled down

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh 10 hrs even for a low light is prob a bit much. However, if you're not getting algae then its prob fine. If you start getting algae drop it back to 8hrs and go from there.

Sam

5. nry

nry Member

8 hours is plenty :)