• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting times

Liam1

Seedling
My tank has been up and running for about 9 days and have the lights on for 10 hours, is that too long? should i drop it down to 8 hours. evreything seems ok. its relatively low light @ about 1.4 wpg.
heavily planted about 80% coverage
300l tank
3 x 38w T8

Regards
Liam

probably someone with more knowledg than me will be along in a bit but from what Ive read its best to start off lower then build it up, only thing is im not sure if this applies to low light tanks?

I started my 60cm that im working on at the moment on 5 hrs and have moved it up to 7 once a couple of algae problems were sorted.

hi,
i would think that may be a little long to start with, but if you are getting no algae problems, brown diatoms being the most likely in a fresh start up then stick with it!

i recently started a new tank and it appeared fine for first couple of wks @8 hours (1.7 w/g (were t5 tho))
after algae started i lowered to 6 hours for a few weeks until it all settled down

Back