• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Upgrade Help

NotoriousENG

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about upgrading the lighting on my tank and am a bit stuck on what direction to go. My tank is a high-tech 20 gallon long (76.2 x 30.5 x 30.5 cm).

Currently, I have an old 36" Finnex RayII DS suspended over the tank. The light works fine but tends really wash out all colors except green. Since it's old and longer than the tank, I also don't really have a good idea of how much par I have.

The main things I am looking for in a new light are good color rendition/aesthetics and a wide light spread. I will most likely hang whichever light I get so dimming isn't as important, but would be a nice feature. As far as budget goes, I don't want to break the bank since I am also looking at getting some other aquarium upgrades.

In my research the main lights to consider seem to be the Fluval 3.0, Finnex ALC, and Chihirios WRGB 2. The Finnex is cheaper and should fit right into my only slightly sketchy hanging system since I believe it uses the same heatsink/hood as the RayII. The Fluval has more PAR, sounds like it's way easier to program, and is more expensive. However, petco seems to be having a deal making the price difference between the two relatively marginal. The WRGB 2 seems to be very popular and from my understanding has the best color pop. However, I have seen some threads about unreliability and it's a stretch on my budget so I'm not sure if it is worth it or not.

Which one would y'all recommend for my situation and are there any others I should consider?

P.S. I am in the US if that affects recommendations at all

Been doing some more poking around and game across a newer fixture that's looks very interesting, the LEDstar AQ.

I can't find a ton of information but seems to be aimed at the WRGB 2s market share. Comparable price to the WRGB 2, 4 channel WRGB control through an app, two two year warranty, and more sealed against water. The little information I could find came from video reviews that claim it has higher PAR (depending on which model) then the WRGB 2 according to their tests.

From their Facebook page there appears to be two US based distributors that handle warranty and etc. It also looked like there was some Europe based vendors as well.

Curious to know if anyone has heard of these and what everyone's thoughts on them are.

US Vendor Link

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

@NotoriousENG

Hi
Hope this is in someway helpful
Still relatively new myself to aquascaping,

Personally not used any of the above, however my local aquascaping store has a few on display tanks
Including
Ada solar rgb, chihirios wrgb, the vivid 2 mini and twinstar v2 and v3 and aquasky lights

I have on my own personal tanks a twinstar v2 600sa ( you can get these in pendant)
I find with that the greens aren't super vivid green but the reds pop like mad, I have an onf flat one plus (still setting up that tank) and tried this on next to the twinstar and the green popped but reds were more orange brown is coloured

Anyway back to the above
If I'm not wrong the chihiros use the rgb chip in one
They certainly make the greens reds and every colour pop but
I personally like the over saturated look myself but not sure I could live with it all the time

I however like how the light looks white when reflecting on the water as apposed to the white red green and blue on my twinstar

I think its down to personal preference if you have a local store you could go see some of the fixtures in person I would highly reccomend that it's crazy how different they can make the tank look

Is your tank mostly green plants, red plants or a mix

Thanks
Matt 😃

I think the chihiros app looming online looks nice and simple to use and really good how you can adjust each colour (this would allow you to get that perfect look you want for yourself)

Matt 😃

Thanks at @Matt1994, I appreciate your description of how the various lights look!

Unfortunately, local stores that cater to aquascaping don't seem to be common in the US. I have yet to find one within a reasonable driving distance sadly.

Right now my tank is mostly green. Crypts are the tanks main source of color although the ludwigia does develop some pink and orange (but never red) closer to the surface. I hope to get into some red plants as my growing and scaping skills improve. This is my first tank after a five year break from the hobby and my first tank with a "planned" scape. My previous tank was jungle style. I still have a lot to remember and learn with regards to all of this.

96043f7ed72aafaec2e25b0bf6082ad3.jpg
a4783b8c97ecbdd206d2d296d3adf367.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

@NotoriousENG
No problem at all,
Firstly stunning tank
Funny your first tank was a jungle style, my aquascaper 600 is my first tank and that is jungle style(not intended)

My second tank which I am slowly grabbing bits for is the waterbox 2420 which I have and am putting a lot more planning and thought into !!

Secondly glad it was in some way helpful
(Sorry missed the bit about you being in the us)

I would maybe suggest YouTube comparisons although not entirely accurate it might give you an idea of how each lights compares with limitations on shops !!

I think the chihiros out of your options would look nice on the tank the greens would pop and think it would suit it well

I think they are bringing out a pro series too which is slightly higher powered etc...
(Might even be out)

But stunning tank
Sorry I can't be of more help

Matt 😃

Back