• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting...Your thoughts/suggestions

myboyshay

Hi everyone,

I've been reading up on lighting on the forum and various sites (Aquajournal website is brilliant for those who haven't looked) and my head is going to explode :?
I tend to sway towards the ADA way (8000K more of the blue spectrum) higher watts per gallon for a 60x30x36.

If I was to go for 3x24w Osram 880 skywhite T5 tubes do you think this would be wise or would you use at least one plant specific tube e.g. Arcadia plant pro or Grolux type tube?

I want a clean fresh look (like ADA) for a 60cm Iwagumi and it will be stocked with a school of Embers.

Any thoughts, suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I looked at this as indepth as possible, some of the boffins from the royal horticultural society reckon a bit of green light energy doesnt go astray ( but i decided from the specs they published that the advantage was academic in a tank ) .. many planted tank folk use any old light with great success it seems. Check out the sticky above. I ended up going with tubes from lamp specs at a fraction of the cost of the special gear in the shop. It comes down to i found the colour of light you like the like of , something too high kelvin or blue tends not to be too natural with a lot washed out , i like the 8K range.

Worth having a look at JamesC thread on cheap T5 tubes and Lamp Specs all the way definitely.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies...James thread was great and I really like the look of the Grolux and Osram 880's so that's the ones for me.

Thanks

Mark!

Back