• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lights and Temperature increase

spill50

Hi all,

Just a quick query, new to to the whole planted tank and aquarist hobby in general so there will probably be more of the "I don't know what I'm doing" questions in the coming weeks.

My tank (36"x15"x15") has been running for just over a week now and things seem to be settling down, getting noticeable growth from most of my plants (don't know if its good growth, as I have noting to compare it too).

Anyway I have 2 x T5HO 39W (1 Arcadia Original Tropical, 1 Arcadia Plant Pro) which I currently have running 6 hours a day in the evening. When the lights are off the temperature is about 24C when the lights are on this increases to 26C. I've tried opening the condensation try and hood but this makes no difference its always a 2C rise which then reverts to 24 overnight.

So is this 2C rise in temperature OK? I haven't decided on fish yet but it will be some sort of general community tank. Any recommendations on fish would be welcome.

Thanks, Richard.

Hi Richard
I have a tank of similar size to yours, running 2 x T5HO 45W. Can't say I've noticed much temperature variation though. (I must pay more attention :lol: ).
Although the 2 degree difference you are seeing will only be at the top of the tank where your thermometer is, so I wouldn't be alarmed about that. As a quick check, put your thermometer down low in the tank for a day or so and see what fluctuations are going on down there. I wouldn't mind betting there is hardly any change.
Just imagine it as sunlight in the wild, warming up the water during the day and then the temperature dropping a little overnight :D . No dramas.
As far as fish choice goes, the world is nearly your oyster. All you would ideally have to avoid is any 'diggers' that keep disturbing the substrate and uprooting your plants. There are plenty of peaceful community fish for you to choose from that occupy the mid and upper levels of your tank.
At the end of the day it's your tank and you're looking at it every day, so buy what you enjoy looking at :D .

Thanks for your reply, I didn't think of moving the thermometer further away from the lights :oops: I'll try that over the next couple of days and see what happens.

Back