• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light's for me new tank

Acrantophis

I have just obtained an AquaOne Regency 80, main draw being the the overall dimensions plenty of scope for the greenery to grow tall, as it is something like 700mm in height.
So anyway the question, the tank was supplied with two measly T8 x 20W tubes. Is this going to be sufficient to sustain a good growth in a tank that will have CO2 infussion, ferts, etc? Or would you recommend additional lighting?

Tank size - metric (imperial)
Height - 700mm (27.55 inches)
Length - 800mm (31.49 inches)
Width - 400mm (15.74 inches)

Thanks in advance.

Acrantophis said:
I have just obtained an AquaOne Regency 80, main draw being the the overall dimensions plenty of scope for the greenery to grow tall, as it is something like 700mm in height.
So anyway the question, the tank was supplied with two measly T8 x 20W tubes. Is this going to be sufficient to sustain a good growth in a tank that will have CO2 infussion, ferts, etc? Or would you recommend additional lighting?

Thanks in advance.
That one hell of a depth, I have an aqua one Ar980 depth of 18" and I have renewed my lighting hood as i was concerned that the light was limited in reaching the bottom. If you stick to low light loving plants you should be ok - want I would do is buy some day light tubes to maximise potential light.

Have to look at the attached thread
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=555

Short cut to where you can purchase these tubes.
http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/

Regards
paul.

Acrantophis said:

Hi, if I were you I'd be 10X more worried about how to get good flow distribution and CO2 into a 28 inch deep tank. Lights are going to be the least of your worries...

Cheers,

Ceg perhaps my sizes were a little ambiguous. The actual body of water would only have a final depthe of no more then 20 inches. The external filter I will be using is rated for aquaria up to 330ltrs with a turn over of around 100lph, obviously this is based on the filter being clean and the tank probably being at the same height, but you know these manufacturers. :lol:

Hopefully I will not have to many issues with ceven CO2 distribution but that is something we will need to establish as and when the tank is up, running, and planted. No doubt there may be some tears along the way but hopefully nothing to stressful. :rolleyes:

Err..well, I'll be the bearer of bad news; This is about a 60USG tank, which means that a decent flow rating, using the 10X rule is on the order of 600 GPH, or about 2400 LPH, so you're not even close. The deeper the tank the more difficult it will be to get CO2 and mass flow to penetrate to those levels. Now, 20 inches is nothing for a decent light bulb yet everybody chronically worries about this, but that same 20 inches is like the distance to the other side of the Galaxy for CO2/flow, especially if you have an intention to grow carpet plants. If you want to give yourself half a chance, I would consider no less than an FX5, an Eheim 2080, or a Tetratec 2400 - or some combination of multiple filters to get you near the 2400LPH rating.

Cheers,

Ceg I'll start by thanking you for explaining the problem, must admit I was a little confused to start with but I think I now understand. I guess I will have to rethink my plans as it's obviously going to be a bit of an uphill struggle.

Well, it's a struggle if one doesn't have access to information. Go to the Tutorial section of the forum and read all the half dozen articles there. Start with Setting Up a High Tech Tank which lays the foundation. Then review the other articles in that section which address each of the important specific issues in a planted tank. I guarantee that your rethink will not be a struggle after you get a feel for the basic principles.

Cheers,

Back