• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lights that have ripple effect

tanker

I'm planning my next tank, probably 3ft or 4ft. I like lights that have ripple effect on the substrate and plants, unlike normal PL tubes.
I was told that only metal halide lamps are able to give such effect :( its expensive and makes the water temperature too high, i'll need a chiller with the weather over here.
is metal halide the only light able to do that?

Any point source light will give the effect, metal halide are the most commonly used. LED's also give this effect and are becoming much more readily available, If you're serious you can use these as your sole form of lighting or you could use them to supplement your existing lighting.
There are 2 options, DIY units or secondly there are readily available banks and or strips available ready made, these aren't exactly cheap however.

Themuleous said:
I get this a bit from my normal T5's

Sam

Same but not anywhere near as much as other light I imagine.

However yes you'll be looking at Metal Halide or LED's if you want the most ripple.

Metal halides are inexpensive compared to LEDs, produce lots of heat and cost a lot to run.
LEDs are expensive, but produce hardly any heat and cost a lot less than Metal Halies (saves a lot of electricity.)

The TMC LED strips are meant to be better than a 24W PC light each strip.

As I say, if it's simply the ripples you want you could DIY something with some LEDs stashed in your hood/luminaire. As they'd be a direct light source (if you use powerful enough LEDs) you should get the desired effect :)

thanks for the suggestions.. hmm, either way it is not going to be cheap. perhaps still need to give LED some time for it to become more affordable. metal halide + chiller is going to be expensive, not to mention running costs..
looks like i may have to settle with T5

a normal old incandescent desk lamp is a spot source

anything that does not have a diffuser in is fine for the ripple effect
the other issues are , hot bulb and splashing ... can be avoided by a simple plastic shield
light intensity and plant growth.... doesnt have to be only light used

you could easily rig up a clip on desk lamp , i assume open top tank if worried about warm ambient temperatures, with some form of shielding of the bulb

andrew
just throwing idea out there

Back