Like tiny dandelion seeds...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by misscaretaker, 20 Sep 2008.

1. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

Hi, as the title suggests I have what look like wee dandelion seeds attached to the glass. They're no more than 2mm long and so far I've just scraped them off but they make the glass look a bit naff. Is this some kind of algae or something else?

2. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Do you have any nerite snails?

3. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

No, only 3 Apples which I'm trying to fob off on someone else as they're decimating my plants :rolleyes:

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

They sound a bit like Hydra. Do the tenacles retract when they're touched into little blobs?

Or is it green stringy algae that's just happened to grow and tangle in places? I get some of that in my Angelfish's tank on the front glass.

5. misscaretaker

misscaretaker Member

It doesn't seem to retract when touched and it's not green, it's more translucent/white. I've left the rear glass to see what it develops into and it doesn't get bigger than 1-1.5mm and they are spread a few mm apart and look lke inside out umbrellas without the fabric! In between there is a thin film of translucent stuff. I'd take a pic but it's so small and my camera is so basic... The translucent film I can imagine is something to do with snail tracks and maybe something is growing on that? It's a 240l tank and only three apple snails (anyone want 3 apple snails?!) so I can't see how they've covered the whole tank!!