• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lily Pipes V Sprinkle Bar "UP DATE"

Re: Lily Pipes V Sprinkle Bar "UP DATE" & Current status

ceg4048 said:
Hi Paul,
Good or bad depends on whether you are able to get flow down to the substrate and whether you have achieved a nice circular current. Do the majority of the plants gently wave in the current? Can you see flow across the carpet plants? Have you positioned the spray pattern as I demonstrated in earlier threads such that the exit flow direction is horizontal? Have you placed the bar near the surface to generate a nice surface ripple? If you reduce the exit flow velocity too so that the answers to most of these questions is "no" then you've defeated the purpose and utility of the spraybar.

Cheers,

Current status: there is a definite difference in water movement within the tank I can only assume this is due to the extension on the OEM spray bar I do not have any carpeting plants yet, there are some crypt and their leaves are moving very slightly. The bars are positioned approx. 1.5" to 2" below the water surface and are at an angle of 80 degrees, there is a very light displacement on the water surface. There are plenty of tiny Co2 bubble being emitted from the bar - but the majority of the bubbles are rising rather than around the tank. My personnel view is I have defeated the purpose of the bar. A different view to determine the length of the bar is: that Ehiem do numerous tests prior to releasing their products to the public and I can only assume that to obtain the correct water displacement is to use the spray bar supplied, by adding an additional length reduced the overall performance and this is what i am doing / seeing. Back to the drawing board. Pic's attached.

DoubleSpraybar.jpg

Topviewofspraybar.jpg

Frontview-2.jpg

Regards

paul.

hi paul,
i understand what you're saying but doesn't your reactor dissolve most of the co2 :?: .so you're not losing that much :!: .
i'm no expert just trying to learn.as clive said,is the flow reaching the subsrate :?:
neil

nelson said:
hi paul,
i understand what you're saying but doesn't your reactor dissolve most of the co2 :?: .so you're not losing that much :!: .
i'm no expert just trying to learn.as clive said,is the flow reaching the subsrate :?:
neil

Neil reactor is gurgelling nicely - sounds like I am having to add more than necessary and the flow is very slow at the bottom - more like a very light breeze rather than steady breeze eg If the washing was on the line there is not enough wind to dry the clothes - I do not do the washing - that the wife job.

Regards

Paul.

hi paul,
think you need advice from someone with more knowledge than me.if i told my BOSS about the washing i'd be in trouble :lol: .
neil

Flyfisherman said:
...A different view to determine the length of the bar is: that Ehiem do numerous tests prior to releasing their products to the public and I can only assume that to obtain the correct water displacement is to use the spray bar supplied, by adding an additional length reduced the overall performance and this is what i am doing / seeing...
Umm...no, forget about that. Lets not give these Eheim people more credit than they deserve. The main problem is that the total area of your holes are too large. The 2080 has decent flow rate, even while filled to the brim with media. I've had 2080 connected to 2.5 feet of ganged Eheim spraybars and then switched to Fluval bars and in both cases the result has been very good. What size is the tank?

It's not clear at all what type of tubes you are using and what size holes are drilled. How does your modification differ from the stock bars or did you use a combination of stock bars? Did you enlargen the holes? Is the filter backpressures or are there kinks in the hoses or other obstructions?

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Flyfisherman said:
...A different view to determine the length of the bar is: that Ehiem do numerous tests prior to releasing their products to the public and I can only assume that to obtain the correct water displacement is to use the spray bar supplied, by adding an additional length reduced the overall performance and this is what i am doing / seeing...
Umm...no, forget about that. Lets not give these Eheim people more credit than they deserve. The main problem is that the total area of your holes are too large. The 2080 has decent flow rate, even while filled to the brim with media. I've had 2080 connected to 2.5 feet of ganged Eheim spraybars and then switched to Fluval bars and in both cases the result has been very good. What size is the tank?

It's not clear at all what type of tubes you are using and what size holes are drilled. How does your modification differ from the stock bars or did you use a combination of stock bars? Did you enlargen the holes? Is the filter backpressures or are there kinks in the hoses or other obstructions?

Cheers,

I am using the original stock bar suppiled with the kit and I purchased another stock bar (Eheim) from my LFS. The holes have not been altered - standard hole. Initial was was using tetratec water return over flow pipe - but now I have refitted ehiem stock flow pipe as the noise being emitted from the water + Co2 bubbles returning to the tank was awful - probably due to its shape (square corners) stock flow pipe is more curved. As for connecting the the two spray bars I just cut a piece of their tubing and slide the tubing of the two pipes. I have had to modify the return flow pipe to allow rear entry to the tank rather than side entry (due to my hood) Cut the bottom 90 degree bend add another 90 degree bend + tubbing to join the pipes (pic attached).

Inletflowpipe.jpg

As for kinks - no kinks in pipes, if anything my pipes are too long - i have allowed for access to the push on joint whilst I am cleaning, the last thing you want is piano string pipes (nice and tight). All in all its stock.

OK, well if everything is stock then there should be plenty of energy for two joined bars with unmodified holes. The 2080 has a flow control lever. Are you certain this lever is not set to the low flow position or to an intermediate position? Are you certain that the end cap on the far tube is not leaking or missing? If not, I'd have to suspect the filter output itself. You can use tape and start taping off a number of holes to see if the velocity increases or check the output of the filter by seeing how long it takes to fill a known quantity. A 2080 packed with media should produce an actual rate of around 800 LPH so this means it should fill a 1 liter jug in about 4 to 5 seconds. If it takes much longer than that then either the pump or impeller is off or there might be blockages in the filter or in the lines.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
OK, well if everything is stock then there should be plenty of energy for two joined bars with unmodified holes. The 2080 has a flow control lever. Are you certain this lever is not set to the low flow position or to an intermediate position? Are you certain that the end cap on the far tube is not leaking or missing? If not, I'd have to suspect the filter output itself. You can use tape and start taping off a number of holes to see if the velocity increases or check the output of the filter by seeing how long it takes to fill a known quantity. A 2080 packed with media should produce an actual rate of around 800 LPH so this means it should fill a 1 liter jug in about 4 to 5 seconds. If it takes much longer than that then either the pump or impeller is off or there might be blockages in the filter or in the lines.

Cheers,

My Mate
The flow control lever is over to the left which is "ON" maximum flow, the end cap is fitted on the tube and there are no leak, the flow meter shows the flow to be approx. 7/8 of being flat out. The only reason I can think off in relation to the filter not running flat out is due to me mixture of filter media from my Ex1200 bio balls, sponges & new media from my 2080 all mixed together whilst the bacteria cultures itself, then I will remove it slowly. Today I have cut the new spray bar in half - so I am now running with a 24" bar the flow is better now - the plant leafs are not moving as fast now, more like being blown in a gentle breeze rather than a gale, this only happening two inch from the front of the glass, the rest of the tank has more of a steady / reasonable flow. I am going to leave it at that for the moment - might buy an additional bar and start taping holes up until I achieve the required flow that I want. As for lily pipes not going to bother at the moment.

Thx and regards
paul.

Back