• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lily pipes, worth the money?

Thanks Andy,

I really don't like ordering outside the EU as any time i do i inevitably up up spending hours in the Greek customs offices.

I'll order the cheap set from AE and try them, i'll let you guys know when they arrive and what they're like.

Cheers
Mark

That was bloody quick :eek:

Not sure how they did it, but my order was sent by AE on Monday and it arrived today :eek:
I've lived here for 9 years and i've NEVER had a delivery from the UK that quick.

Anyways both the inlet and outlet looked great to me, top quality.
I've not seen any other more expensive lily pipes to compare with but these looked great and seemed pretty sturdy.

The Outlet works great, it's slightly submerged and gives a nice little vortex around 2cm from the pipe exit.

Still pricey in my book for a couple of pieces of glass, but the tank does look a million times better than with the crap stock Eheim in/outlet.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help :)

Cheers
Mark

Hey, what a deal Paul :!: I've been saying for a year now that those things are so nice they'd be cheap at half the price! Now they are. Definitely, as Rambo says, GO FOR IT!

Cheers,

That's going to be very difficult to clean at the spray end. Even harder to get out the pesky snail shells that end up blocking the holes!

Or, perhaps they were simply overpriced? Kind of like football T-shirts made in a Guangzhou China sweatshop for 20p and then sold to the British for £200? :wideyed:

Cheers,

Just a quick tip on cleaning hard to reach places in tubes (especially glass)

I use this method monthly to clean the ball end of my inlet:

Get 2 x M3 nuts or smaller. fill the sink so you can submerge the pipe without knocking it. Let the nuts slide slowly along the pipe to the end (or hard to clean part.)

For my ball end I then twirl the pipe at many differing angles. The corners of the nuts scrape all the 'crap' from the inside:

This pipe is about 2 years old

this is the ball end dirty:
CIMG3047.jpg

And when last cleaned a few days ago:
moodyleft.jpg

No bleach needed unless thats what you want to do :)

Be careful though. Get carried away and you may break it. Not from the nuts but from banging a seperate part on the edge of the sink ;) I have knocked these several times but these cheapos must be thicker than the quality ones ;)

AC

Lakeland plastics used to sell what were called 'magic balls' for cleaning, basically small copper balls that you swill round in things like vases, I'm sure they'd work really well at cleaning these things.

Back