• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Limnobium Laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit)

Superman

I managed to pickup a small selection (about six) plantlets from Maidenhead Aquatics in Worecester - who I must say are fantastic everytime I go in.

Anyway, I understand that these are fast growers and they seem to be very nice in my tank. Some are moving around the surface with the current and others are get stuck from time to time near the drop checker.

I must say they look beautiful so far as I've cut down the roots.

I would appreciate any comments, tips, experience and anything else(!) of people who have had these in the past.

I've not kept it personally, but I've heard that it's a great plant but can grow quite large quite quickly and block out quite a lot of light.

i have some in my shrimp and fry tank, as it does dull out some of the light but only on 1/5 of the tank. its thriving off my light which is just over 1wpg, and a bit of TPN and a few drops of easy carbo as i cant be #### to set up co2! hardy plants and the new plantlets are about to become 'unattached'

It's a great floating plant which can be pretty veracious when it gets going. The problem I had with it was cleaning out dead leaves. They can mount up if it over takes.

Also, the roots need to be kept trimmed, though they form a great area of shelter for fish. They'll probably love hanging out in the roots :) If you let the grow, they may even reach your substrate or get tangled in your plants.

Personally I like the long roots as they help anchor the plants. The one tip I've found with them is to make sure that you don't have too tight a condensation tray and that the condensation doesn't drip onto the leaves or it can cause them to rot and the plants to die. If you have a condensation tray tilt it so the condensation runs to one side.

I have them too and the dead leaves are a pain to remove as they get hidden easily! I find that my pencilfish love hiding under them. I did have them in another tank but the surface agitation used to send them zooming around the tank which got a bit annoying after a while!

Have to agree with steveuk, cleaning the dead leaves was a pain, I found i was throwing handfulls of the stuff away every week, if i didnt, it blocked to much light so in the end i found it to much hassle, for me anyway and ended up throwing them in the bin.

As promised...

Amazon Frogbit...
20081116003.jpg

Back