• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Limnophilia aromatica - Leafs rotting?

Aeropars

Hi guys,

I moved my Limnophilia aromatica and also trimmed it a short while after. Now some, not all, of the leafs on some stems are browning and turning to mush.

Whats the cause of this? Lack of light? Circulation of CO2?

Newer growth is fine so its not like the entire plant is dying. Im having real problems with dense planting of this as when i do this is seems to melt. Any help apreciated.

Lee

HI Guys,

I have added the additional filter and now everything is swaying about like mad and looking less static. I've noticed some rotting still though inside the forest as it were. Could this still be flow? If so how do other people combat the rot in these densly planted situations?

I've also upped my CO2 slightly as well to see if this could be the issue. Plants out in the open seem fine though and its only this plant causing the issue. Staurogyne is fine even thoughb that is very dense.

Hi Lee,
Up your CO2 more than slightly I reckon. Not sure how much light you have mate. Once LA gets going it doesn't stop. Stick you hand down there in the bush and comb it frequently. You could have some blocking going on inside. trimming helps as well.

Cheers,

Since installing the AM 1000 reactor and getting the CO2 levels up slowly again mine has suffered a lot to the point it started melting, so now its gone in the bin! CO2 levels and flow do affect this plant greatly, mine also started growing in spirals rather than straight up!

I have to say that mine is doing very well, however I got a lot of CO2, and the plant is 30cm in front of a Koralia, so it gets lots of flow.

I also dose iron and po4 heavily, that may also help.

ghostsword said:
I have to say that mine is doing very well, however I got a lot of CO2, and the plant is 30cm in front of a Koralia, so it gets lots of flow.
I also dose iron and po4 heavily, that may also help.
It started recovering, but I didn't like it much in my setup anymore, so I have replaced it with Potamogeton gayi which I prefer (also very CO2 hungry) :)

ceg4048 said:
Hi Lee,
Up your CO2 more than slightly I reckon. Not sure how much light you have mate. Once LA gets going it doesn't stop. Stick you hand down there in the bush and comb it frequently. You could have some blocking going on inside. trimming helps as well.

Cheers,

Cheers Clive,

I have 4 t8's over 180 litres. I did wonder if it was a lighting issue as the tubes dont go all the way to the edge and its visibly dimmer right at the edges where this is planted. Don't get me wrong, its not pitch black but its dimmer although I have some Blyxia there as well which is fine.

Aeropars said:
...I have 4 t8's over 180 litres. I did wonder if it was a lighting issue as the tubes dont go all the way to the edge and its visibly dimmer right at the edges where this is planted. Don't get me wrong, its not pitch black but its dimmer although I have some Blyxia there as well which is fine...
Well it is fairly unforgiving of CO2 mistakes as you can tell from the other posters, but so is Blyxa. you might have stagnated flow or some weird circulation patterns where they are. Remember, per your originating post, that they only started deteriorating after you moved them so this says something about that particular location perhaps. You may have the flowrate but not the distribution pattern sussed.

ghostsword said:
...I also dose iron and po4 heavily, that may also help...
Nope, not really with this particular fault. Iron and PO4 fix other faults but never structural faults. Structural failure can only be addressed by CO2. This is Carbon Mantra numero uno. Holes, deformation, translucency, browning, black spots, mushiness, decay and deterioration are typically indications of Carbon starvation. The only other factor that can confuse the issue is predation.

Cheers,

I think your right there Clive but any ideas as how i can hit that back right hand corner?

My flow direction at present is 2/3 back wall pointing forward across the short edge of the tank. Second filter and koralia is blowing left to right to mix the CO2 enriched water. The effect is kind of like an 'eddie' effect so all water goes in all directions.

Hi Lee,
Unless you can actually visualize the flow pattern this might more dream than reality. The flow might as easily be going nowhere as opposed to everywhere due to possible cancellation or incoherence. Try orienting all pumps so that they all face in the same direction and mimic (or parallel) the direction of flow of the spraybar effluent. If only 2/3rds of the back is covered by spraybar then fill the remaining third with the flow from the other pumps.

Cheers,

Back