• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Limnophilia bleaching. Tips turning white. Any ideas?

josh8425

Seedling
Hii :D

Got 2 new limnophilia sessiflora almost 2 weeks ago now. Had a big water change and clean up a few days ago. But even before that their tips have started to turn white-ish and as more time goes on im getting bit concerned :confused:

I had a huge bunch of them die about 2 months ago. So now im looking for any signs of them being unhealthy maybe and want to act before they die out. Picture is below. They appear like they are bleached from color and the ends are very flaky/fragile looking which in my mind doesnt appear healthy. I tried to google the problem but the only vague idea I got was that there might be a iron deficiency, or light is not intense enough or opposite. Maybe someone knows right away?

All comments and tips are welcome :)

Some aquarium info:
30l
Light is on 10h a day but I think its considered low intensity. Even put 2 tapes on the light to minimize the intensity (third pic, dont know if it helps) ... or should I do the opposite for this plant? Mainly did it to try and slow down algae growth
I dont add any co2 other than liquid co2 every 3 days, just a water drop worth
I use plant fertilizer once a week. Both are the "Easy-Life" products. Liquid Carbon Fertilizer and Professional Plant Fertilizer.

20210726_002047.jpg

20210726_002055.jpg

20210724_130214.jpg

I'd up your fertiliser, I use TNC complete and should be using 6ml a week according to the bottle , it gets 12ml and I'm trimming the limnophila every week and pulling out runners regularly so it doesn't swamp everything. It could actually do with a bit more, but I'm trying to gradually take it out in favour of something less annoying so I don't want it growing any faster

Professional Plant Fertilizer
Is it this one?
Profito
If so, it contains no nitrate or phosphate, two essential plant nutrients.
I would switch to a complete fertiliser. The TNC Complete that @jamila169 mentioned is popular with lot of members here, if you can get it in Denmark it would be a good choice. If you can't, you need to look at the ingredients of what is available, to check you are getting N, P, K and micronutrients. Some manufacturers put 'complete' on the front of the bottle but when you read the back of the bottle you find there are essential elements missing.

Is it this one?
Profito
If so, it contains no nitrate or phosphate, two essential plant nutrients.
I would switch to a complete fertiliser. The TNC Complete that @jamila169 mentioned is popular with lot of members here, if you can get it in Denmark it would be a good choice. If you can't, you need to look at the ingredients of what is available, to check you are getting N, P, K and micronutrients. Some manufacturers put 'complete' on the front of the bottle but when you read the back of the bottle you find there are essential elements missing.
There is definitely enough nitrate in the water. When my last one died I got "Tropica: specialized nutrition. For heavily planet aquariums" to add ntitrate in. And in should contain all other nutrients too. But the problem is that it has, imo, so much nitrate in it, that I cant add it in often enough to raise other mineral content in the water. Added a pic of what it contains.

And now that I read what TNC Complete contains I see that the one I added the picture off contains roughly all the same. Sorry about having forgotten to add this info to my first post :p

Attachments

• 20210726_114612.jpg
    20210726_114612.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 126
Hi all,
But even before that their tips have started to turn white-ish and as more time goes on im getting bit concerned
<"White new growth"> is a sign of <"iron (Fe) and/or manganese (Mn) deficiency">. These are nutrients that <"aren't mobile within the plant">, so when they are deficient the plant can't move them to new tissue.

Plant growth is like a <"car assembly line">, you need all fourteen mineral nutrients for growth, just in <"widely different amounts">.

Other deficiencies that cause yellowing (chlorosis) (nitrogen (N), potassium (K) , magnesium (Mg)) are of mobile nutrients, <"so effect older leaves first">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

<"White new growth"> is a sign of <"iron (Fe) and/or manganese (Mn) deficiency">. These are nutrients that <"aren't mobile within the plant">, so when they are deficient the plant can't move them to new tissue.

Plant growth is like a <"car assembly line">, you need all fourteen mineral nutrients for growth, just in <"widely different amounts">.

Other deficiencies that cause yellowing (chlorosis) (nitrogen (N), potassium (K) , magnesium (Mg)) are of mobile nutrients, <"so effect older leaves first">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you so much!

Back